Pool Renovation & Pad Plumbing

g5marek

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2014
Markham/Ontario
We are in the middle of renovating our pool and will be redoing all of the plumbing at the pool pad.

The plumbing setup was previously as follows:
Original Pool Pad.jpg

As part of the pool renovation, we filled in the main drain, added a waterfall and redid all of the plumbing to the pad. We will be doing all of the pad plumbing when the weather warms up.

I am eventually going to get an automation system, but for now every thing will stay manual. I am currently thinking of getting the following setup:
Future Pool Pad.jpg

The actuators, flow meters and thermometer will be added later.

The question that I keep on asking myself is wheter I should also put in a bypass for the heater and a second bypass for the SWCG.

What do you folks think? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

N.B. The attached drawing was what I was originally planning before we had added the waterfall and filled in the main drain

Attachments

• Future Pool Pad.jpg
    Future Pool Pad.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 60
I strongly recommend using a three way valve to pick between the waterfall and the pool returns, and then having manual valves on the two separate pool return lines.

There is no real point in making a SWG bypass. Just make up a short section of pipe with the correct unions that can go in place of cell.

A heater bypass can be useful, but also adds complexity. If the complexity doesn't bother you then go for it.

I strongly recommend using a three way valve to pick between the waterfall and the pool returns, and then having manual valves on the two separate pool return lines.

There is no real point in making a SWG bypass. Just make up a short section of pipe with the correct unions that can go in place of cell.

A heater bypass can be useful, but also adds complexity. If the complexity doesn't bother you then go for it.
Jason

What's the reason behind the three way valve followed by the individual valves on the two returns? Turbulence? Back flow?

I can isolate flow to either return or waterfall in either setup.

Thank you for the clarification.

Marek

You want each "function" accomplished by a single valve. In this case you want to be able to turn on the waterfall with a single actuator. Most automation systems can't turn three different valves in response to a single button press. The higher end automation systems can move several values, but even there it makes for much more complex programming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.