Solar Pool Blanket tolerance to Higher Chlorine levels

Jezza

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jan 18, 2015
Bunbury, WA, Australia
I've been perusing the CYA/Chlorine charts and noticed that the ideal CYA level for a SWG pool is 70-80 CYA. Obviously this has an impact on a higher level of FC necessary to sanitise the pool (ie- for CYA level of 70 it suggests a targeted FC of 5. My question is based around the tolerance of solar pool blankets. The manufacturer of my solar pool blanket recommends an FC less than 3. I basically have my pool covered whenever it is not being used. Is the manufacturer being overly conservative and should I just go run with the suggested CYA/Chlorine levels as above or go with a lower CYA level?

Welcome to the forum. Yes they are. At least in the US, the EPA high limit for Chlorine in a pool is 3 PPM, so no one will say in any literature that more than that is OK. They also don't recognize (officially) the buffering effects of Cya. Your cover is more than safe.

Welcome to TFP !
Ultra Violet rays from the sun are the main reason for the cover to degrade over time. For the most part they only last 3 years or so. That's what I got out of my first clear cover.
As long as you keep your FC in range for your CYA level your cover will be fine. They don't last forever.

The pool cover manufacturer is not taking into account CYA in the water. Any degradation of the cover from chlorine would be dependent on the active chlorine level which is related to the FC/CYA ratio and not to the FC alone. Most of the chlorine in a pool with CYA is bound to CYA and essentially inactive. It is only the portion of FC that is not bound to CYA that disinfects, prevents algae growth, oxidizes bather waste, and (slowly) oxidizes other materials including pool covers. However, as others have noted, the UV in sunlight is the primary detriment to pool covers. You can extend their life by putting an opaque cover over the rolled up cover when not on the pool especially if the cover is off the pool for an extended period of time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.