Pinch a Penny pool water test

Jul 26, 2014
Longwood,FL
Does the PAP FC test cap at 5ppm - does anyone know?

I use the k-2006 test and my results are as follows:
FC 11
CC 0
Ph 7.6
CH 220
TA 80
CYA 95

PAP results as follows:
FC 5
CC 0
CH 150
TA 80
CYA 100 (this is their cap)

I attempt to keep my FC as per the pool math chart so it correlates with my CYA. My test reads 11 today as intended but pinch a penny gave a reading of 5ppm so I was thinking that perhaps like their CYA test they can't read get a reading beyond 5??

Also my calcium hardness is significantly higher and they wanted me to put in 27 lbs of increaser. I did not because I am not sure what to do. My pool's CYA was in excess of 300 a couple of months ago (calcium was fine ~250). We did a partial drain and refill to get it down and I never needed to add calcium after replacing the water (according to my tests) can that possibly be correct? I am thinking it *could* really be closer to 150 logically since replacing some water, but I have tested and retested (yes, correctly) and I am well over 200. My reageant for the CH test (blue drops) are a bit thick and gloppy - but it's new.

Had to buy chlorine anyway and wanted to get a second opinion on my CYA level- that darn black dot test leaves me guessing. Now most of my tests have me guessing......

I would stick with your testing and not the pool store, it will drive you crazy, your testing would be more accurate..The CH blue drops, I just take a tissue and wipe it...that seems to fix it...I think I read where it would build up static on the tip.

Stick with your testing. You have a top notch kit so trust it.
For the CYA test, you can pour the sample back and redo the test a couple of times to see if your getting consistent results. Lighting effects the test so stay consistent with that. There are videos on all the tests if you have any questions on what to look for.
The static that Boston is talking about is for the TA test. ?

If PAP uses a typical OTO drop test for FC, then yes. It caps at 5. The color of the test will be actually quite a bit darker than that on the test vial, but only reads up to 5.

The taylor test kit is a good one. Trust it, and trust yourself in doing it.
and yeah, the CYA test is a bit tricky to get the hang of it. It should be performed in direct sunlight with your back to the sun, and the test vial at waist level.

As Boston62 mentions, it useful to wipe the tip of the CH reagent between each drop to be sure that each drop is the same size.

The CH test in the K-2006 and the TF-100 is not affected by static.

As pwrstrk says, it is the TA test that, only when the R-009 reagent is new, static can affect the results of that test.

The phenomenon stops within a few weeks and has no bearing on the CH test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.