Rebalancing after Jack's Magic #2

Ok, I think I may be moving in the right direction. The FC and CC have reached a "breakeven" point where they are both measuring 23. I've added more bleach to bump the FC up and hopefully start seeing results. If anyone has a different recommendation, please help! Thanks.

I haven't seen any posts about someone dropping CH during a SLAM. I'm sorry to ask but are you sure you are using the right reagent ??
Chem Geek is the expert and if he doesn't jump in you might PM him on it just to make sure. I'd keep going with the SLAM and see if you can get that CC under .5 while trying to figure out the CH issue.

All my testing reagents are good. This just happened today with the test. I tested last week before the SLAM and was getting accurate readings. I'm wondering if the Jack's Magic released the metals and they are just floating in the water now (I didn't use a sequestrant, just the #2 Jack's only). I'm wondering if the sequestrant is needed now, but it wasn't recommended by the Jack's tech initially. He said sometimes u need it and sometimes u don't. I am continuing the SLAM and heating the pool water a bit to help aid it quicker. Hopefully Chem Geek chimes in on this....

added the titrant drops first as indicated, and added 8 drops of indicator dye. Color still went from pink to clear. I used a test strip (which I hate), and it falls within the calcium hardness range, so I think the SLAM may be just bleaching it out right now? I'm going to get the FC and CC under control first, and then work on the CH test issue. Just as long as I know there is CH in there, the chlorine is more important right now. Still a mystery tho....

That's great news. Keep at it. Too bad we don't really know what's in the product chemically. Whatever it is, it causes the chlorine to read as CC, possibly because it is bound to the chemical or because the chemical interferes with the FC and CC tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jack's Magic #2 is most likely Sulfamic acid. The msds matches the msds properties for Sulfamic acid including physical properties, decomposition products, product use (descaling) etc.

Sulfamic acid is also used as a chlorine stabilizer in pools and other applications such as cooling towers. Chlorine reacts with Sulfamic Acid to form N-Chloro-Sulfamic Acid, which is what most likely creates the CC.

http://www.jacksmagic.com/pdfs/MSDS-JMCOPPER.pdf

http://siri.org/msds/f2/blj/bljwf.html

http://www.riccachemical.com/Technical-Support/MSDS/RA001438

http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1770.pdf

Thanks James. It's nice to have a mystery chemical figured out and what you wrote makes perfect sense and is consistent with what was seen. So apparently the combined chlorine is somewhat slow to oxidize, at least at the cooler water temperatures. At least it does eventually get oxidized away probably resulting in sulfate.

Some references say that it's used as a chlorine stabilizer. I had never heard of that before. I wonder how much it's actually used and by who.

I will start a thread in the deep end so as not to get off topic.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope this thread helps someone else and they can catch it a lot quicker than I did. My pool is back to .5 CC and has passed all tests! Starting to let the FC drift down back to normal levels. I would recommend to anyone else using Jack's #2, to start the SLAM process after 2 weeks and not wait the 30 days. It took a hair over a week to get the CC levels down to a manageable level and put me out of using my spa! LOL. The product does work, but you need to make sure you're watching your levels closely...

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to comment that my high CC is also the result of Jack's #2. This is what I was needing to know, as my FC is staying at 0.5, and CC was up to 0.20! I was going nuts.

Time to start the SLAM as OP did!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.