Motor not running, hot to the touch?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I went outside this morning to check on the pool (getting ready to close it) and noticed no water was coming out of the returns. I went over to my pump and noticed it wasn't running, I could smell a burning smell and I could feel heat form the pump 6 inches away. (wasn't going to touch the housing). The filter basket was filled, water level up half way on skimmer and didn't notice anything that could of caused the pump to run dry. The breaker wasn't flipped either.

Did my pump shoot craps the week of closing?

Thanks!

First thing to do is check if the shaft turns freely-- you may need to use a screwdriver to find that out. If it does, then the next test is the capacitor. There's a utube video on how to do that using an analog multimeter. If that's good, you may need to replace the motor as a minimum. Make sure before you do any of the aforementioned, you remove power at the circuit breaker.

I was sick all weekend and did not get a chance to go out and try this, although the pump looks very old, most likely original. It would be about 11 years. This is the worst possible time for it to go out as I am tight at the moment on money. I wish there was a way to close the pool minus a pump and worry about it next spring. :(

Anyways, I will check it out however do you think it might just be a better idea to buy a new one if the motor is shot?

Thanks!

Obviously I need to find out the model and type of pump I have. It has to be some off brand as there is no name on it. However will it be possible to to match something up so I don't have to redo the plumbing? I am hoping to just wire it up and connect it. Where do you guys normally find the best prices on pumps if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.