Replacing Max Flo 1 HP single speed motor with a 2 speed motor

Mar 2, 2012
Cooper City, FL
Hello,

I am planning to replace the single speed 1 HP motor on my MaxFlo pool pump for two speed motor. I do not want to change the whole pump. Instead I want to keep the MaxFlo housing and put a new motor on it.

1) What motors do you recommend? I am basically looking to reduce the cost of running the pump as much as possible.

2) Am I right to assume that the pump with the lowest AMP rating when running at low speed will give me the highest efficiency/lower cost given that it will consume less watts.

3) Finally, I have read that it is a good idea to replace the shaft seal and all o-rings, and gaskets. Is the GOKIT 1 the one I should use?

Thanks,

The pump is the regular MaxFlo (SP2807X10), which Century Motor do you recommend? Will I need to change the impeller as well if I change the motor for a 2 speed?

On a completely different topic, funny enough I just go back from Home Depot were I bought all the parts to assemble the DIY Acid Dosing system that you have in your signature. Is it still working fine for you?

Thanks a lot for you help!

The standard MaxFlo is a 56J motor so you will need this motor: STS1072RV1
With this seal kit: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Max-Flo-Pump-Go-Kit/dp/B004VU88QI

That is a 230v motor so hopefully you are wired for that.

And no, you don't need to change the impeller although you could.

The acid dosing system is still working fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.