Chlorine level too high to close?

Mar 13, 2014
virginia
Hello,

We have a new above ground pool this year. I added too much chlorine to the pool yesterday getting ready to close and don't know what I should do now.

TC 1
FC 10
PH 7.3
TA 80

I have read that higher level of chlorine will break down the pool cover and maybe Bleach the liner?

Do you think this level is too high to close until may? I would love to get it closed up today as I am fighting leaves every day with this thing. I see some trees getting taken down in the near future...

thanks,

To answer your question better we need to know your CYA level. An FC level of 10 isn'tthat high. What is your CYA level and what test kit did you use to get your results from ?
Depending on the CYA level your probably not at shock level. You should close with your FC at shock level for your CYA level. ?

Hello,
My CYA is only at 30. Water temperature is at 61*
So from the chart I found, the shock level should be around 12?
Why did I read several things that you should close the pool at no more than 3ppm chlorine or it could harm the cover and possible bleach the liner? is that not true?

This is the first year for the pool and I have only the test strips. Next year, I plan to get a real kit to check the water. Pool is only an 18' above ground 54".

will add signature soon!

Thanks,

The problem is the test strips and the lack of accuracy with them. The CYA level is a key level as that sets your FC range and shock level. What have you been using for chlorine so far ?
For next year get yourself one of these Test Kits. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.