Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Telescopic Pole - where to get a decent one ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Telescopic Pole - where to get a decent one ?

All,

with the pool I received a telescopic pole that is so flimsy that the holes to which the tool attaches are worn out already (twice the size) and I can deform the pole with two fingers. Sometimes the brush falls out when I apply and kind of force because it deforms so easily. BTW the problematic lower tube is a thin blue "corrugated" aluminum tube.

So after googling I orders a "deluxe three piece pole" from Leslie's which is just as bad - I'll return it unused.

Where can I get a decent pole these days ? Mail order or real store ... (I am in NJ)

Thanks a lot !

Patrick
    Completed July 2008: 25,000 gal IG gunite, 3M "Smoke" Quartz, 6' sheer descent w/ fiberoptic light bar, 2 Hayward ColorLogic LED lights, IntelliFlo VF (running at 160 watts to filter - yeah !), Jandy PDA PS8, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG (running at 15% :o) ), 8 "Jet Flow" returns, 450 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, 480 sq ft HelioCol solar panels, Hayward VacAlert, Hayward Phantom Turbo, BBB method, TF-100 Test kit (of course !)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Telescopic Pole - where to get a decent one ?

I would check Home Depot , Lowes and maybe Ace if they are in your area ...
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks ... I'll definitely check all three (they are within 5 miles of where I live)
    Completed July 2008: 25,000 gal IG gunite, 3M "Smoke" Quartz, 6' sheer descent w/ fiberoptic light bar, 2 Hayward ColorLogic LED lights, IntelliFlo VF (running at 160 watts to filter - yeah !), Jandy PDA PS8, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG (running at 15% :o) ), 8 "Jet Flow" returns, 450 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, 480 sq ft HelioCol solar panels, Hayward VacAlert, Hayward Phantom Turbo, BBB method, TF-100 Test kit (of course !)

4. Back To Top    #4

What about using some sort of painting or concrete float pole? Home Depot should have them and I'd think if you found a "Contractor Grade" one it would be pretty strong.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

5. Back To Top    #5

I searched far and wide on the web and EVERYONE seems to be selling the same crappy model I got ... oh wonderful globalization ! I'd love to buy a quality American-made product if only I could !

6. Back To Top    #6

I got a really good one from BJ's. Also got a great skimmer net. It's a heavy duty one. The other 2 i got from the PS did not last long at all.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

7. Back To Top    #7

i got mine from lowes. it was a white 8' long that will strtch out to 24'. i originally brought it for my crab pot before i got my pool, and it worked wonders.got it about 5 yrs ago though, but it still works beautifully now.
    18' 52" deep laguna agp with pentair 1 1/2 hp pump and 22" filter, intex swg

8. Back To Top    #8

Patrick,

I agree with you about the less expensive poles. I bought one of these...the 5009 model:

http://www.skimlite.com/5000.html

I can't find my receipt, but I think I bought it from coolpooldeals.com online.

In addition to the better pole material, the locking mechanism is a big plus over my original pole. The poles are twisted to lock and unlock instead of having a separate locking mechanism. I can unlock, extend and lock the pole without having to set the end of the pole on the ground. I'm affraid I can't explain this very well, but it is a big plus I was unaware of until I had the pole in my hands.
    22K gallon vinyl IG, 1 HP Hayward SuperPump, 24" Hayward S244T sand filter, RayPak P-206A-EN-C gas heater, Pentair Rainbow 320 chlorine feeder (only used when away from home), Use BBB method.

9. Back To Top    #9

I HIGHLY recommend getting a fiberglass pole, preferably a 12-24' because eventually the cam is going to wear out and 8' is rarely adequate.

Fiberglass poles have two big advantages in my book:

-They don't kink/bend, so you don't ruin the pole by bringing up a leaf rake full of worms and maple leaves (not that you'd ever let your pool get to that state).
    -They don't conduct temperature much. Nothing worse than trying to use an aluminum pole November-March. The fiberglass is still a little cold, but it takes the torture element out of the equation.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes good point about the temperature. We almost had frost tonight, today we are closing the pool and my hands froze from skimming some leaves off the surface this morning.

Also, fiberglass does not conduct electricity ... might come in handy, unlikely but still ...

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    I HIGHLY recommend getting a fiberglass pole, preferably a 12-24' because eventually the cam is going to wear out and 8' is rarely adequate.
    Are the fiberglass poles UV stabilized? I know some fiberglass can deteriorate after sun exposure.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

12. Back To Top    #12

Interesting question. I'm not sure. All the ones I've seen are painted yellow, so perhaps that's a UV protectant. I'll see what I can find out.