Well, here we go

Yep, gunite is down. Haven't gotten too many pics of it, but hopefully this will give an idea of what the pool will look like. The wife has picked out our water line tile and stone (leuders) and ordered yesterday. Hoping to see some stone work start by the end of this week.

Set up a battery operated timer on a sprinkler, or for some soaker hoses running along bond beams. We had soaker hoses running along our retaining wall tops, and they did a great job of soaking the entire wall within just a few minutes. And then a sprinkler set up in the middle of the pool to hit it all. So all it took was turning on two faucets and running them for 10 minutes or so. I would still hand water to get the crevices that didn't get watered twice daily.

It is a real pain. Couple that with when your working with probably the world's worst water hose (mine would kink up no less than 5 times a watering session), slopping through mud, and hanging my hose on rebar every 15 seconds!

Set up a battery operated timer on a sprinkler, or for some soaker hoses running along bond beams. We had soaker hoses running along our retaining wall tops, and they did a great job of soaking the entire wall within just a few minutes. And then a sprinkler set up in the middle of the pool to hit it all. So all it took was turning on two faucets and running them for 10 minutes or so. I would still hand water to get the crevices that didn't get watered twice daily.

It is a real pain. Couple that with when your working with probably the world's worst water hose (mine would kink up no less than 5 times a watering session), slopping through mud, and hanging my hose on rebar every 15 seconds!

I take back my previous statement! Watering takes me about 5 minutes with a fantastic hose, great water pressure, and no real snags. Typically just walk around the edge of the pool, then jump in and spray everything.

The pain is finding time to do it during the work day, I guess.

Couple of days of rain this week have dropped the watering down, but have also pushed our stone and tile work back a couple days. PB said they should start on that tomorrow...pics will be up of the process later this week!

Edit: So, here is a pic of the tile and coping stone we chose. It is still sitting where they dropped it off for now...

Tile is porcelain tile from Master Tile. We almost went with a similar glass tile, but liked the price point better on this one. Wifey actually preferred the look of it once she saw it in person, too (bonus):

Leuders for coping. We originally opted for an Oklahoma flagstone, but decided on the upgrade once we visited the stoneyard. Benefits of Leuders - 1. denser, meaning less chance of mold/mildew/stain 2. less flaking than flagstone 3. more uniform color

Hopefully stonework will start tomorrow.

Well, it has been a busy week both at work and in the backyard. The wifey changed her mind on the coping late in the process, so that put us back a little. We went from flagstone to leuders...which are apparently tough to cut and place (and create a lot of dust when cut). This process has taken 4-5 days so far, with another day or so to go.

While the coping was going in some of the crew started working on the water line tile and back wall. We weren't sure we visualized our colors correctly, but love the result!

We knew this process would create a mess of our backyard, but I don't think I was quite prepared for the scale of it. All of you out there thinking about putting an inground pool in, be warned and get ready!

PB said decking should come in next. Looking forward to that process, and getting this mess going!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love the leuder copings. We use leuder on our pool too and really like how it turned out. Are you having a salt water pool?

Thanks CC! No, we're going chlorine. I think the leuders are fantastic with salt, though.

RangerBob, that's my wife's eye, not mine! We joke about how we are decoratively a one trick pony...lots of subtle blues, a little brown, and stone around our house.

Well, it has been a busy week both at work and in the backyard. The wifey changed her mind on the coping late in the process, so that put us back a little. We went from flagstone to leuders...which are apparently tough to cut and place (and create a lot of dust when cut). This process has taken 4-5 days so far, with another day or so to go.

When we were choosing pool features and colors, I looked at the leuder samples and said "meh...who would do that to their pool????"

In the showroom, it looks like junk. After seeing some examples of these materials in use, I have to admit I was wrong. That coping really looks nice.

When we were choosing pool features and colors, I looked at the leuder samples and said "meh...who would do that to their pool????"

In the showroom, it looks like junk. After seeing some examples of these materials in use, I have to admit I was wrong. That coping really looks nice.

Yeah Jay, we were right there with you. The choice was really cemented when we went to a stoneyard with a mock-up leuder coping. We liked the look quite a bit.

That being said, we do wish there was a bit more tan to the color. Hoping that contrasting with a darker SunDek color will really make them pop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.