New Plaster Job Look Terrible - Help?

Sep 10, 2014
Poway
On May 16, 2014 we had our pool re-plastered. We installed a salt system with new nickle heat ex-changer {H400FDN};
within about 6 weeks or less I began noticing brown discoloration, like sand in the plaster. We have a top notch pool
service and he did the start-up as recommended by the same company who plastered the pool. I've been in contact
with the pool company for nearly 45 days asking them to come out and look at it. Yesterday the owner called me back,
seemed angry... He said it's mottling and staining, it's the owner's responsibility read your contract. We just returned
from a 3 week trip and it's a lot worse now than it was when we left. In places the plaster has the appearance of a
5 to 10 year old pool. Is there anything I can do? Would/could mottling occur that quickly? Any recommendations or
suggestions would be most welcome. Thank You, Stu Brodie

Email address removed by moderator

Having gone through exactly the same thing over the past 24 months, I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's not mottling or staining. Ours started with stains in one area, and we had the PB come back to look at it. He started saying mottling. Over the next 12 months the stains spread to about 70% of the surface. What was more frustrating was the stains only showed up on cloudy days. If someone came to look at my problem on a bright sunny day, they thought that I was nuts.

The Area rep for Florida Gem came out, brought a big underwater magnifying glass and assured us that it was staining. He ran several Jack's Magic test to narrow down what type of "stain" it was. He then sold us a Jacks Magic stain treater at "his cost", $$$$$. We were happy, because now we finally have someone's attention.

2 months later, no improvement. I got frustrated, went to a different pool guy and explained my issues. He suggested I go back to my builder, but honestly we had come to a point where I no longer trusted him and refused to let him touch my pool.

The "new" guy, came in, drained the pool, acid washed it and the plaster is shinning like new. He told me that the original builder, should have acid washed the pool right after plastering, and before filling. The stains that I was seeing were plaster dust that I had brushed free and then re-adhered itself to my pool surface.

It has now been 5 months my pool is crystal clear and I now handle all test / adjusting myself with TFP.

Was your pool acid washed after plastering?

Try a small acid wash in a controlled area, and see if it doesn't correct your problem. All they did was mix 30% MA to water in a watering can, let it run down over the surface and washed it off about 1 minute later.

We went through months of suffering only to have a simple fix solve our problem.

Good Luck.

Properly grounded pool ... problems

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions and not revive a 7 year old thread. Thanks, jblizzle

What happens when a pool is not properly grounded?
1. Plaster discoloration?
2. Chrome ring around lights blacken?
3. How can a pool be grounded if this is occurring?
4. What else would cause mottling and staining in a newly plastered pool?
Thank you............

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Properly grounded pool ... problems

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, a pool is BONDED, not grounded. The danger of an improperly bonded pool is that items could be at different electrical potentials and thus allow electricity to pass through your body when you touch 2 items at different potentials and could kill you.

This would not have any impact on your plaster.

Re: Properly grounded pool ... problems

Lets keep the discussion about the plaster in the OP's other thread.

I went ahead and combined the threads since they are both really about your plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.