Intellatouch or no?

Apr 14, 2014
Jamison PA
I'm just wrapping up my first season with my pool, and of course, I'm thinking about what worked this year and what didn't.

My biggest annoyance was that I could only adjust my Pentair IC20 SWCG in increments of 20%, which I learned after it was put in (thanks PB)...It's super annoying, and it led to me running all summer with FC levels a little high (~9-11 with 50-60 CYA), because I could never dial it in (there's a big difference between 40-60% on the SWCG and I spent all summer fooling with run times, but either overshot or undershot). So now I'm thinking about what I can do about it, and have been looking at getting an Intellatouch panel.

Here's my setup:

IC20 SWCG
Whisperflo 1.5 HP single speed pump
and a 90K BTU Pentair Heat Pump (whose name is escaping me now and of course I'm at work)
Fiberstars LED pool lights (controlled right now by a Lutron Maestro wireless switch...Poor man's automation :) )

Not super complicated...Is Intellatouch overkill for just wanting to adjust the SWCG in increments of 1%? I'm thinking about doing the install myself to save a few bucks. I'm ok with electric, but I have no idea what parts I'll need to buy, and it seems like I might miss something....for example I see that the Intellatouches come with the DC converters, so does that mean I can ditch the one that I have for the IC20, or should I save a few pennies and go with the Intellatouch without the converter? Does that eliminate the control for the SWCG? Are the fiberstars lights compatible or do I have to do Pentair lighting in order to get lighting control?

There's not a lot of literature out there on this stuff for the DIY type, which leads me to another question-

Would doing the self install void my existing Pentair warranty? Or do I just suck it up for 3 seasons until my orig. Pentair warranty is up with the PB and then go with an install then?

Thanks in advance for your input everyone!

EDIT: Quick phone call home told me that the Heat Pump is a Pentair UltraTemp...Also controllable by the Intellatouch I believe.

Last edited:
I make small changes to pump run time in order to make small changes to the SWG, for example:

3.0 hrs pump run time x 80% cell = 2.40 hrs cell run time.

2.9 hrs pump run time x 80% cell = 2.32 hrs cell run time.

I went thru much the same as you and finally set the SWG at 100% and kept lowering my pump run time until the FC settled down, I found one adjustment every two weeks was more than enough as it took the pool that long to reach steady state after each adjustment.

I called Pentair & asked about a DIY on the IC60 SWG & they said if it's not installed by a professional Pentair authorized installation person - you are on your own for there will be no warranty...so with that I went on the search & thru the good people here & lots of calls locally to find the right company NOT wanting all my money - I found a competitor to my PB wanted less of my money!!! (highest bid was the original PB at $2700!!!) I imagine that might be for all their products... but you might want to contact them 1st and verify that. The people here are so helpful - if you wanted to do a DIY I'm sure somebody could walk you thru it - just ask - it's amazing :lovetfp:

I have the Pentair Control Panel Easy Touch 8 & just got the Pentair SWG IC60 (it was on sale $970 installed - not that I needed that big a unit for my size pool). I dialed it in on FC the 1st weekend I had it - was too easy! The 1% increments on the Easy Touch control panel & the APP for Pentair Easy Touch "Screen Logic" from my PC let me see the ppm salt level also & set the SWG in the 1% increments. I run my fiber optic, pool & spa lights, slide, spa, floor jets, high pump - there are "8 available" program options - we left one open control button for the future option of solar to be run by the Easy Touch 8 panel. Because my PB did not order the Easy Touch 8 for "SWG" Pentair says it has the board inside ready & wired with a 4 pin port "plug & play" - I had to get the control power box & get that wired in thru the channel run in the Easy Touch box to the controller board on the inside (tons of wiring there). The installer took a total of 2 hours to uninstall my Frog Chlorine dispensing system & install the SWG completely wired & tested.

I do not have one complaint about the Easy Touch 8 - it has worked perfectly since day one. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.