First Pool and have stains!

Aug 26, 2014
Perth, WA
Hello All,

My girlfriend and I have just signed up for a new rental property as it has a pool, wahoo! We were very excited about getting into the property and having all our friends round for a pool party and BBQ, now that the weather has started to improve over here in Perth!

When we first viewed the property the pool was absolutely disgusting, with lots of debris at the bottom and green algae all over the walls. We explained that we would only take the property if the pool was thoroughly cleaned, which the letting agency agreed to do. However, they have now told me that they have cleaned the pool as much as they are willing to do and the pool is still pretty uninviting. Needless to say, we're not very happy with the letting agents, but will pick that up with them!

My question for you guys is - how do I clean it?!?! There is a pale tinge all over the pool walls and lots of black streak marks. I think that they are stains; after some research online I'm guessing that they are organic (pale stains) and metallic (dark streaks). Can these stains be removed with some elbow grease and chemicals? Can I get the pool back to looking inviting? Or will I have to drain and paint the pool?

I really don't want friends in the pool, especially not with their children, the way that it is at the moment!

Thanks in advance for your help,

TomIMG_1402.jpgIMG_1404.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

The short answer is yes, if the stains are organic and/or metals, you will most likely be able to take care of them chemically, though it will be a long process and may take some work.

Based on the pictures (and the cloudy water therein), your best course of action would be:

1. SLAM the pool. This will get it crystal clear and clean.
2. Get all of the chemical parameters fine tuned.
At this point, you will be a chemistry wizard, so you can move on to....
3. Tackle the staining.

Have you been to Pool School yet? There's a lot to learn, but don't be overwhelmed, just take your time. Start with the link in my signature.

I would like to change the order of the steps above. First, get a good test kit and determine what your current levels are. Considering you just bought the house, chances are your CYA levels are off the charts, and you'll need to address this before anything else.

We recommend the TF-100 from http://www.tftestkits.net. You may even want to get the XL option, since you are going to be SLAMming the pool.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the reply guys. I've had a read through the pool school already and watched a bunch of YouTube clips to get an idea of what I need to do.

Yesterday the pool water was actually quite clear. We haven't moved in yet but popped into the house to drop stuff off today and noticed that the water was considerably cloudier. The pool people are going round again on Thursday to do some more work so hopefully they will sort out the levels again. We move in on the weekend so I can get to sorting it out. I've read about the Mustard Algae removal process and Metal stain removal process so will give both of those a go to get the pool looking better. If that fails then I'll put my dive gear on and get in there to give it a good scrub!

Any other hints/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Don't count on pool people to set the levels correctly. The majority of them don't measure the levels and simply dump "something" in. So, you'll still want to take control of the pool as soon as you can.

Even if they did make an effort to get the chemistry right, getting the water clear is a process, and they probably won't be working on the pool long enough to complete it properly. Once the pool has been cleared, keeping it in balance is a daily process, so if they aren't there for a few days before you take ownership, you may be headed back down the same path again.

Don't let this scare you, the daily maintenance can take as little as just a few minutes a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.