Another Newbie needing reassurance!

Second time testing...still have questions...

merged from new topic on same issue - Moderator

I've taken my deep breaths and I feel a bit more relaxed this time. I just need guidance on what to add and how to add it!

I added my 80 # of salt last weekend, and my salt level is good.(3400) Here are the rest of my numbers:

FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
pH 7.8
TA 50
CH 130
CYA 20
90 degrees

I put the numbers into the Pool Calculator and see that I need to add bleach, muriatic acid, baking soda and CYA. I have a Pinch-a-Penny around the corner (tho' I understand that's not the favored place to frequent :lol: ). There's also a Publix just as close. They carry all the Aqua-Chem products.

Can you give me tips on what to buy? (I know some things can just come from the grocery isle...but I also don't want to buy 50 little boxes of Baking Soda :shock: ), and then when and in what order to add everything! (Don't want to just 'dump and run'!)

Thanks again for all the reassurance, hand holding and sharing of your expertise. I feel so much better this week...

Kathy

Re: Second time testing...still have questions...

graffster said:
merged from new topic on same issue - Moderator

I've taken my deep breaths and I feel a bit more relaxed this time. I just need guidance on what to add and how to add it!

I added my 80 # of salt last weekend, and my salt level is good.(3400) Here are the rest of my numbers:

FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
pH 7.8
TA 50
CH 130
CYA 20
90 degrees

I put the numbers into the Pool Calculator and see that I need to add bleach, muriatic acid, baking soda and CYA. I have a Pinch-a-Penny around the corner (tho' I understand that's not the favored place to frequent :lol: ). There's also a Publix just as close. They carry all the Aqua-Chem products.

Can you give me tips on what to buy? (I know some things can just come from the grocery isle...but I also don't want to buy 50 little boxes of Baking Soda :shock: ), and then when and in what order to add everything! (Don't want to just 'dump and run'!)

Thanks again for all the reassurance, hand holding and sharing of your expertise. I feel so much better this week...

Kathy

Hey Kathy,

At the moment, just be concerned with bleach, CYA, and also calcium chloride. You can get the bleach at the grocery store or at Wallyworld. The CYA and calcium chloride can sometimes be found at the big box hardware stores, but you may have to go to a pool store for these.

Add the bleach first, so you don't get a nascent algae bloom going; then add the CYA, because it'll take quite a while for it to dissolve. Then add the calcium chloride, as it'll take about 24 hours for it to dissolve as well.

When adding the CYA and calcium chloride, start by adding 1/2 to 2/3 of what the calculator calls for. With these two chemicals, you don't want to overshoot your target values, as lowering them means doing partial drains and refills of water. :shock: Better to add 1/2, let it dissolve, test, add a little more, let it dissolve, test, etc.

The CYA you can add to your skimmer. Just make sure that you don't backwash your filter (if sand) or hose your cartridge down (if cartridge) for at least a week after you add it. Make sure you take your skimmer basket out, and then add it slowly while the pump's running.

I'm pretty sure you can add the calcium chloride to the skimmer as well. same rules apply, although it'll dissolve in about 24 hours or so.

After you get your CYA and CH up where they need to be, you can adjust your TA and pH as needed. Borax and baking soda can be bought at Walmart or Sam's (or your local grocer). I'm thinking you can get 6lb bags of baking soda at Walmart and/or Sam's. You can get muriatic acid from Home Depot or Lowe's. It's usually in the paint section.

BTW, this is just a rehash of what Waterbear posted earlier. When in doubt, go re-read his post, he's been at this stuff for a loooonng time.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.