New pool and chemicals out of whack.

sca10

Sep 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
Just set up intex 16x32 8 days ago. 14,500 gallons. I put the 3.6 lbs of cya in 2 different bags--1 in skimmer and other hanging in front of jet. Both were empty by next morning. Have in intex salt water generator. Added 360 lbs. of salt. Am running pump 12 hours day and salt generator 11 hours. My wife just did some basic testing this evening---didn't do all the tests but here's what we got.
CYA 30, ph 7.8, TA 80, total chlorine 1, Bromine 2, salt 5.4(2130)
We tested 4 days ago and ph was 7.5, cya 20, TA 90, total chlorine .5, Bromine 1, salt 5.2(1970). I'm very confused why the cya is still so low? Don't know water temp, but Dallas, TX area--pretty high. Help. What should I do? Don't want to add more CYA, but need level much higher. Any advice appreciated.

Hi sca 10.
Which test kit is being used to test the water? Test Strips and Pool store testing is notoriously wrong. Especially when it comes to CYA.

If you are using one of the recommended test kits, www.tftestkits.net the CYA test needs to be performed in the right light. Here is how to do it.
Go outside with the sun shining. Turn your back to the sun. Hold the test tube at waste level and add the water mixture until the black dot completely disappears.

Now pour the water from the test tube back into the mixture bottle and do it a couple of more times, till you feel your result is correct.

The CYA test does take a little bit to get the hang of.

hope this helps.

According to pool math 3.6 lbs of stabilizer will only put you around 30ppms., so your reading seeems accurate. What you needed was about 6- 7 lbs of stabilzer, separated into two bags, then I think you would have been closer to the target you were looking for. That would put you somewhere around 60 or 70 ppms of cya, for your SWG.

I wouldnt consider your CYA low. You said you added 3.6 lbs. *dont know how you came up with that amount to add*

According to pool math, your CYA is right where it's supposed to be at around 30. And your test result confirms pool math is right on the money.
Again according to pool math, it says adding 360 lbs of salt will raise the level to 2967. I'm sure the salt reading is low becase salt testing strips and kits are not very reliable. AT ALL. Dont depend too much on the salt test.

If your SWG has a "low salt" light or warning, then just add 1 more bag and let it mix. If the warning still exists, add 1 more etc, until the warning light goes off. Then stop. That is how everyone here does it.

I'm using the Tf-100 kit. Why is my cya showing so low after 8 days? Why is my salt showing so low?

I read the Intex swg manual when I first set up--I bought the cya amount it recommended instead of reading pool school amount. The manual recommends 1ppm which equals 3.6 lbs if adding 360 pounds of salt, which I did. Not sure why my salt reading is so low, and unclear why intex recommends so much less cya for salt than the pool school recommended 60-70? I now understand I need to put more cya in and will do that tonight, but not sure what to do about salt? I added the correct amount--hope that the numbers will rise after more cya added. I also added 16 ounces of muratic acid before leaving the house this morning to help lower the ph.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.