Pool cover pump to drain water from pool too?

Jul 17, 2014
Cleveland, OH
Hi guys,

This seems like a question that is hard to find a direct answer too. Either because it is obvious or not good to do at all. :)

Can a pool cover pump also be used to drain a pool as well? This pool I got with my house didn't have a drain setup on the pump/filter and because of the distance from house/pool I don't really want to tackle that right now. I just want to mainly drain a couple inches off the pool when it fills with rain above the skimmer (we been getting a ton) and to also use to half drain the pool to close for winter. I can run a hose to a drain though. I am not concerned how long it would take but more if those pumps are made for that long of pumping and would burn out. I don't really want to spend $300+ on a gas pump that I will use only a few times a year. I was just thinking one of those ~$150 pool cover ones.

Thanks

Although I can't find any duty cycle specifications or anything like that for our cover pump, after 2 years (with us, not sure how old it actually is) of living in the elements and pumping nearly all of the rain/snow/ice from the cover it does seem quite durable. However if I needed to pump from the pool a few times a year and didn't have a main drain I would probably go buy a cheap utility or sump pump from a local hardware/DIY store instead of using a ~$150 cover pump. It doesn't sound like you need the automatic plug it in and forget it, freeze protection, pump to less than 1/8", etc features that the more expensive cover pump has.

I used my cover pump over the winter to pump out about two feet of precip. No problems. It certainly won't overheat! But a utility pump is cheaper if you don't already have the cover pump.

Anthony & Sylvan had to do an acid start-up on my new plaster pool after the free Nature2 system cartridge ruptured and metal stained the brand new pool (Nature2 now long gone). They put a Little Giant cover pump (theirs, not mine) on top of the drain cover to circulate the acidified water. It ran for a week 24/7 and that was it's normal job.

More recently, I did the same thing with my Rule pump when my original pump motor fried. It ran 24/7 for about ten days. Brushing to circulate is for the birds--apologies to all who suggest it.

So I'd say they can take it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.