TA over 300, should I worry?

Jul 25, 2013
East Texas
I've been working on getting my in-laws small Walmart pool clean and safe and eventually gave up and had to drain it. It was full of a very fine white silt that I was unable to get rid of. I even got rid of the cheap filter and stuck a 19" sand filter on the thing, stuff went right through it. Water looked like milk as soon as you got it stirred up. Anyway we drained it and cleaned it out and I'm getting ready to start getting the water stable, problem is the TA is 310 out of the tap. PH is a just over 8 so I put a half jug of muratic acid in to try and get the TA and more importantly the PH down. Question is, since this is not a plaster pool; what will be the negative effects of have TA 200+? I know I need to monitor the PH really well but is this something I need to really worry about health wise? Can't be too dangerous since it city water right?

Dktexas,

BTW, welcome to TFP! :wave:

What sort of test kit do you have, and have you been reading pool school here?

I'd say that fine white cloud you had before the drain and fill, was algae. Algae will generally pass through a filter while still alive.

You should definitely work to get your TA down, I would say it's time to build a fountain of sorts to aerate your water.
See this article for instructions:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for everyone's advice. I have been using the HTH 6 way test kit I purchased last year when I installed my own pool. It has sufficed but I'm now seeing the limitations of it so I ordered a TF-100 yesterday. My pool is sparkling clean but the pool I am working on was a mess when I got a hold of it more than a month ago. They were just dumping chemicals in it trying to clear up the cloudyness. The thing looked like milk, had a TA over 300, no chlorine, no stabilizer, and PH of 9+. I had use my fish tank test kit to get a good reading on the PH as it was off the chart. Then I finally got the water stats fairly decent but all the stuff was on the bottom with no way to get it out. I left it for a week and they went back to dumping shock in it to clear it up without me knowing. They went through a box of super shock in a week on a 6000 gallon pool. When I test the chlorine last weekend it turned orange red, that was when I had enough and drained it and told them to leave it alone. It's crazy how water can be so different, their water has way too much buffering capacity, but my water has virtually none. I play **** keeping the PH stable in my fish tanks, it took adding crushed coral to it so that PH would stay stable. I have to add baking soda to my pool every 4-6 weeks so that my PH doesn't drop. The PH in my water is 6.4 out of the tap, we have some screwed up water here in East Texas.

Anyway, this site is the best source of help and information I have found. Thanks everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.