Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering pH level

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering pH level

This is my first post while I have done much browsing so thanks for the good information.

I just started up a 28K gallon gunite pool with SWG on Friday. My pool company added 2 gallons of muriatic acid and I have added an addition gallon over the weekend. My pH level is still reading over 8. Is this expected? Should I continue to add muriatic acid until it comes down to 7.6?

Thanks,
    Mark
    28K Gal. IG diving pool, 2 HP Hayward Northstar, Hayward SwimClear C4025, SWG, White Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering pH level

A new plaster pool will have the PH, TA, and CH all rise fairly quickly for the first three or four weeks, and then more slowly for up to a year. This is a side effect of the plaster curing.

Yes, it is important that you don't let the PH get too high. You may need to lower the PH quite frequently for the first few weeks. You can lower the PH below 7.6, down to 7.2 if you want. That will give you a little longer between acid additions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School