Pump Suction Fitting

May 2, 2014
Cypress, TX
I am looking to install a Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-28 or -6. I see it has a 2 inch female pipe thread on the suction. What is the best practice for the male fitting? It seems best to go up to 2 1/2 inch on the suction pipe. Do they make a 2 inch MPT to 2 1/2 slip coupling?

I think I saw on another thread a union fitting that might be nice. I have seen pros and cons to unions. The pro being flexibility to remove and the con being air leaks.

Also, what is the best material for this fitting? just PVC?

All comments are appreciated.

You want CPVC for several inches next to the pump. Pumps get hot sometimes, and CPVC is much more heat resistant. Typically you use a section of threaded CPVC, and then change the size up to 2 1/2" a couple of inches away from the pump.

I think I saw on another thread a union fitting that might be nice. I have seen pros and cons to unions. The pro being flexibility to remove and the con being air leaks.

I think I've seen as many reports of air leaks due to poor threaded connections and messed up slip connections (usually to flexPVC) than I've seen of poor union connections. It doesn't take much care to get a union connection rock solid, you almost have to work hard to cause a failure there. The pros outweighs the cons in my opinion.

If you wanted to go CPVC, Lasco has a pricey adaptor (P/N 9838292) that is 2-1/2 SLIP on one side and 2" FPT on the other side. That would require you to use a CPVC nipple from the adaptor to the pump. If you used regular PVC there's a direct adaptor (P/N 436252) that would do the job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.