Need to SLAM pool, CYA is zero. What should I do first?

Jul 16, 2014
Biloxi, MS
New member and new pool owner. Came back from vaca to a green pool. Found this site (as I am frustrated with pool store) and bought the suggested test kit. CYA is too low to register which is surprising since I put in 4lbs last week. Want to do a SLAM but unsure how to proceed since low CYA. Do I attack that first or adjust after a clear pool???

Thanks!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You usually want the CYA up around 30ppm for the SLAM process so you do not lose a lot of the FC to the sun.
Can you post up a full set of test results? Or are you still waiting for the kit?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Merged by moderator. Please do not create multiple thread with the same questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Pool is green upon returning from vaca. Tested CYA three times with same result (clear sample) which is surprising since I added 4lbs last week. Looks like I need to add about 83oz to bring up to 30ppm. Should I add the stabilizer as I am doing the SLAM or should I wait till CYA level is up?? Also, is it possible stabilizer just hasnt dissolved yet as filter has been turned off for 5 days. Put in stabilizer about 5 days before shutting off.

No problem.

4lbs would have only added 24ppm of CYA to your pool, so it may still be too low to register on the test.

I would get another 2 pounds dissolving and assume your CYA is up around 35ppm and start the SLAM process ... problem is you will not be able to measure the high FC levels required or the CC without the FAS-DPD chlorine test. You can order it separately to give you the equivalent to the K-2006. I would suggest the test and the XL option from tftestkits.net so you do not run out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.