Help!!! New pool and I've already messed up

Jul 10, 2014
Nashville TN
I got a new above ground small pool last weekend. Today the water was cloudy and the bottom of the pool was slick as ice. The ph level was perfect but didn't even register any chlorine level. I "brushed" the bottom and sides. Added shock, replaced the filter and added chlorine. Just vacuumed the pool and cleaned it out. Now the ph and colorine levels are super high!!! What should I do? I'm new at this. Sorry!!!

I got a new above ground small pool last weekend. Today the water was cloudy and the bottom of the pool was slick as ice. The ph level was perfect but didn't even register any chlorine level. I "brushed" the bottom and sides. Added shock, replaced the filter and added chlorine. Just vacuumed the pool and cleaned it out. Now the ph and colorine levels are super high!!! What should I do? I'm new at this. Sorry!!!
First, relax!

If there's algae in the water, your chlorine level won't stay super high for long. Second, if the FC level is above 10 and you're using the red drops for pH, it will give you a false high reading because it reacts with the chlorine. Recheck it when the chlorine level drops. Keep brushing the slimy spots, that'll get a good kill on the algae and lower that FC.

Now... what exactly did you shock the pool with?

Oh, and welcome! :wave:

Thank you for your help. I am using red drops for ph testing. I used Aqua chem pool shock 1 pound. As of this morning both levels are still high going to brush the algae spots again. Again thank you for helping.
Just for giggles, I checked up on that stuff. It looks like it's dichlor. If you have a smallish pool, say 12 ft round by 3 ft deep, that pound of powder raised FC to 27!! And that's in addition to whatever "chlorine" you added. :shock:

But that's all just a guess. It would really helpful if you could tell us how big the pool is and what equipment you have and what test kit you're using. Instructions on how to fill out your signature are here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

One one inch tablet of chlorine was added yesterday when shock was added. So if the chlorine is that high I guess no one needs to be swimming today?

I have a 12' x 30" Summer Escapes Metal Frame pool. Has a skimmerplus 600 pump and uses a type D summer escapes cartridge. Says it holds about 1350 gallons of water. Testing kit is aqua chem 3-way test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.