Selecting Automation help/advice/experience requested, please

Technigogo

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I have an older pool that I maintain myself. I want to install automation but I don't know which system to buy.

I want a system that can manage the scheduling of the pool equipment, allow for switching from pool to spa, control the heater when in spa mode, schedule and run Polaris and turn pool lights on/off.

Here are the relevant bullet points:

1. I will install this myself - I am not a novice as I have installed AutoPilot SWG, replaced motors, filters, valve actuators and more. So, it needs to be available for direct sale and not just through a pool installer.

2. Upgradeable - a few years back, I owned a home with pool that hand Jandy AquaLink RS. I remember being frustrated when I wanted to add wireless remote control and they told me I had to by new model for that functionality. I would really like to know if any brands keep up to date via user installable updates.

3. Hopefully it will interface with home automation systems like Insteon, Universal Devices, etc. I don't have that yet but I will.

4. Non-proprietary to their own brand only. My pump motor that I will install next week is an Ecotech EZ VS, SWG is AutoPilot. I don't have the actuators yet. Can't I find something that will get along with everything?

5. Have a wireless remote control and/or smartphone app

6. Internet access to commands (wired to LAN or wireless makes no difference, I can run a wire)

7. Expandable for future upgrades. I may want to add other features to the system later.

Thank you in advance.

Nothing does all of those things. I'm not even sure anything does five out of seven. To get four out of seven you are already talking the top of the line models from each brand.

1) If you have some AC wiring experience, installing yourself is fairly easy.
2) They make you pay for this. Only the top of the line systems are expandable, and even there they have significant limits.
3) No one officially supports this, though some minimal compatibility is possible.
4) No one supports this. Jandy automation works with IntelliFlo pumps, but that is the only cross brand pump support anyone has.
5) Everyone offers that even on basic models, though Internet tends to be a noticeable extra cost.
6) The higher end units all have an Internet option, and a few of the mid-range units.
7) Isn't this a repeat of 2?

Alright, that means my previous answer to #2 is actually the answer to #7.

2) That is not at all common. Some brands allow service techs to upgrade the software, but by and large they won't do that unless it solves a problem you are actually having.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.