Pool store only says to add shock

foosh

Jul 3, 2014
Chattanooga, TN
I have a pool store with a "WaterLink" testing center a mile from my home so it's pretty convenient. I bought this house last year on an "as-is" sale and I am trying to learn the craft of pool maintenance. The pool was horrible, but has been drained and pressure washed. I replaced all the equipment except the booster pump for the Polaris and the heater for the spa. Booster works fine and the heater wasn't high enough on our "to do" list this year. Anyway, every time I have the water tested, the pool store crosses out all the recommendations at the bottom and just says to add shock. So far, this week, they have told me to add a total of 18 lbs of shock, but looking at the levels and the pool school documents, I need to be doing more. Levels are listed below and I am going to switch to using regular bleach instead of the granular 1lbs packs at the pool store.
FC - 3ppm
TC - 3ppm
CC - 0ppm
pH - 7.1
CH - 150ppm
Alkalinity w/stabilizer correction - 50ppm
CYA - 1ppm
Copper - 0.09ppm
TDS - 500ppm

I have used the calculator on here and have the amounts of product to add that it recommended. Question is, follow the pool calc or the pool store recommendation?

Welcome to TFP!

If you have read much of this forum you should know we never suggest listening to pool store advice. And certainly do not believe their test results.

I do not trust the pool store test results. Pool store testing is very inaccurate and they have only one purpose and that is to sell you overprice products that you can get cheaper elsewhere. The fact that you have been using their bags of shock and your CH an CYA levels that low, is proof that their test results are way off.

The first step in taking control over your pool is to get one of the recommended test kits (I highly recommend the TF-100 because it is a better value): http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

Having my own TF-100 test kit at home is more convenient than the pool store less than a mile from my house. I can have my water tested faster than it takes to get in my car and drive. And, my tests are more accurate. I have saved a small fortunate by doing my own tests and buying my the majority of products at non-pool stores. My test kit never closes early, or on holidays, etc.

Going to the pool store and also trying to getting advice from here will only frustrate you. The users of this forum have no interest in taking money out of your wallet. We only want to pass on the knowledge we have learned. It is up to you to decide which way you want to go.

Welcome to TFP!!

I guess you get the drift that most here think pool store testing is really worth what you pay for it. If you don't already have one, you will need to pick up one of the recommended test kits. The pool store kits won't cut it.

Using that Trichlor feeder (Rainbow In-Line Chlorinator uses trichlor tabs) you need to be careful not to get too high a CYA/Stabilizer level, so if you are going to follow TFPC you may be retiring it.

Do some reading over at the Pool School and ask away with the questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.