New Pump Advice

Thanks for bearing with me while I try to grasp this head loss thing. I think I finally get it. The 2-speed replacement motor for mine seems like it's the AO Smith SDS1152. It has the 56Z frame instead of the 56Y (I tried googling the difference between the Z and Y and couldn't find anything). Looks like I can pick it up for a little over $200. Can you take a look and verify that this is the motor I need?

http://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/Catalog_1100/Stock_Motor_Catalog_1100_207.pdf

56Y comes in two diameters with two different mount types. The motor you chose is not a square flange 56Y and from the picture your old motor is a square flange 56Y. I think the B2982 is what you want.

Century%20B2982-5.jpg

Sorry, I don't think I was clear in my last post. My current motor is the 56Z, not Y. So is the one I posted a good replacement for a 2-speed version of the 56Z that I have?

If you look at the frame examples here:

http://mypooldoctor.com/files/manuals/motors/servicebrochure.pdf

It shows a 56Z with the mounting flange whereas the motor you linked doesn't have the necessary mounting flange. Also, I still think your existing motor looks like a 48Y diameter. You might measure it to confirm the diameter. This will affect if your existing base needs to be modified. At this point, I would call and talk to the techs at inyopools or poolsupplyworld.

I measured my existing motor and it’s 18” in circumference which is 5.73” in diameter. From what I could find online it looks like the 48Y is approx. 5.5” in diameter and the 56Y is approx. 6.5” in diameter. So now I'm not sure if it's a 48 or a 56. I agree I need the square mounting flange. Does anyone know the difference between the Y and Z frames? My model number online shows a Y frame but my label has it as Z.

I called a tech at Inyo and did an online chat with Pool Supply World. Inyo pretty much just told me to get whatever I want as long as most of the specifications matched my current motor (not very helpful) and PSW couldn't really help at all. I'm wondering if it's just the online sales rep that couldn't help and I need to talk to a tech.

Edit: Called and talked to a tech at PSW. He said it is in fact the 56 frame and considering the model online says that it's a 56Y instead of 56Z that they probably just don't make my model in the Z anymore and they're just Y.

You definitely have a 56 square frame. It is on the label of the motor and it is the larger of the two diameters.

The difference between the 56Z and 56Y is just where the capacitor is located. It has nothing to do with the mounting so you can use either one. The B2982 is the motor you want.

UPDATE...

I got my new motor installed. It was a 48 frame and not a 56. So the label on the motor must have been wrong. I was able to make it work by trimming the stand that the motor rests on. When running on low it has enough power to prime and run the solar panels but not quite enough to run the pool cleaner. So now I need to figure out how I want to control the motor so that it'll run for an hour or two on high every day. I'd really prefer not to have to change out my timer for a 2 speed. Any suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.