what about floc ???

I replaced my sand with Zeo-stuff 2 years ago. I also chemically "cleaned" my filter early this spring.

Since I first posted, I read that the PoolPerfect +PhosFree I have been adding for the past couple weeks can cause cloudiness. So, maybe the particles are normal, but I do know I have seen the water crystal clear at night with minimal (not none) stuff floating by the light.

Of course, maybe the 'particles" I am seeing are caused from my OCD about getting this pool water sparkling??!!

well, just an update here. i floced the pool, vacumed to waste - bingo - crystal clear. 2 days later, i'm very cloudy again, even tho my test numbers are good. so i'm off to the pool store after work this evening to get the D.E. - one question : how thick or thin do i need to make the "slurry"? thick as pudding or thin as canned tomato soup or somewhere in between? thanx for the info.

p.s.... hey 20000galofdirt, that is one great user name ! i too have often wanted to tear my 20000 gallons of pea soup down, but this forum has helped ALOT. being the pool boy still drives me crazy, but it's getting better all the time. i'm pretty new here as well, but you'll find that these pool gurus know thier stuff, are tons of help and most of all, friendly folks who want to help. so, welcome aboard !

When premixing DE with water before pouring into the skimmer you want it very thin. I put one cup of DE into 4 gallons of water. You don't need to be that extreme by any means, but you do want to use plenty of water.

picked up the d.e. last night after work, went home & tested the water.
f.c. - 11
c.c. - .25
c.y.a. - 45
p.h. - 7.8

backwashed, added acid & bleach. an hour later f.c. was up to shock (20) & p.h. was lowered to 7.2-ish.
my filter runs clean at 18, so i added 1/2 cup d.e. "slurry". checked again 10-15 minutes later and the filter was running at 19. let it go overnight.
this mornings numbers :
f.c. - 16
c.c. - .25
p.h. - 7.2-ish
so i added bleach to get f.c. back to 20 (don't know if it actually got there, as i had to leave for work, but i used the pool calc. amount of bleach to get there) filter was now running at 20 and feeling with my hand, the return flow was very weak, so i backwashed and added another 1/2 cup of the d.e. mixture, 10 minutes later, filter was back at 19 and so, off to work i went. i must say, the water looked a little less cloudy this morning, so i'm crossing my fingers that when i get home tonight, it'll be even LESS cloudy and the d.e. in the sand will solve my problems. thanx for all your help.

20000GalOfDirt said:
Since I first posted, I read that the PoolPerfect +PhosFree I have been adding for the past couple weeks can cause cloudiness.

I would ditch the PoolPerfect and PhosFree as most people around here would tell you that they are unnecessary and basically a waste of money. A properly balanced pool chemistry and and the proper FC levels should be all you need for clear water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You want to add enough acid at one time to take your PH down to between 7.0 and 7.2. You don't want the PH going lower than that. Aeration then raises the PH back up, so you can repeat the process. Often it takes quite a few cycles like this before you get to the desired TA level.

You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to estimate the amount of acid required for any given PH change. Every pool is a little different, so you may want to use a little less than my Pool Calculator estimates the first few times, and then observe how your particular pool responds and adjust from there as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.