New Pool Owner With First Time Test Results

chuckp

Jun 20, 2014
Mebane, NC
Hi Folks,

First off, this is an extremely helpful site since I was going to buy a book, or two, or three to try to get up to speed.

As a precursor to posting my test results, I have been using those test strips daily for about a week.
When free chlorine was low, I'd add a gallon or two of bleach.
TA was low once and I added 1/2 box of Bromax.
PH was low a few times and I've added several boxes of baking soda.

Anyhow, here are my results using the TF-100:
FC = 2;
CC = 0;
Calcium Hardness = 400;
TA = 140;
CYA = 50;

Not quite sure what to do with these numbers so I'd appreciate any feedback.

Kind regards,
ChuckP

Welcome to TFP!

You need to raise the FC asap. Check out the chart in the handy reference area of Pool School.

Also you got your chemicals mixed up. Borax raises pH, baking soda raises TA.

Hi Folks,

First off, this is an extremely helpful site since I was going to buy a book, or two, or three to try to get up to speed.

As a precursor to posting my test results, I have been using those test strips daily for about a week.
When free chlorine was low, I'd add a gallon or two of bleach.
TA was low once and I added 1/2 box of Bromax.
PH was low a few times and I've added several boxes of baking soda.

Anyhow, here are my results using the TF-100:
FC = 2;
CC = 0;
Calcium Hardness = 400;
TA = 140;
CYA = 50;

Not quite sure what to do with these numbers so I'd appreciate any feedback.

Kind regards,
ChuckP
The FC needs to come up to correlate with that 50 CYA. Target 7, so it doesn;t dip below 4 before you can dose it again.

What is the pH?

Need to do some homework and read Pool school "SLAM- Shock Level and Maintain" (start here to get a rough idea what your getting into) , and get a TF-100 test kit from TFtestkits.net...... Just a little bit of reading and understanding the theory will help you develope quick results for a clear and algae free pool. Get away from test strips for chlorine testing FAS/DPD is the way to go.

Then take you results, plug and chug in the "Poolmath"

Adjust your FC as directed by the CYA : FC figures provided (i.e. CYA = 60.... Normal FC level =5 to 9 ppm Shock Level = 24).

Hope this helps, and everyone here is great for help! :super:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.