pump leak at seal head and motor

Jun 30, 2014
tucson
Hi everyone. First off, thanks to all the active members who have provided me with a ton of useful info (through old forum responses) since we bought a house with a pool a year ago.

I've spent the past several hours scanning the web for help with this problem to no avail. I've got a Pentair Challenger pump that has been having some issues. Bought a repair kit, opened up the wet end of the pump, cleaned it up, and replaced all o-rings and the seal head and mating ring. This fixed my previous problems (air bubbles in the returns, low pressure, etc.), but it is now leaking where the motor meets the seal plate. Basically, it seems like some water is passing through the seal head and mating rings (part #4 in the linked schematic below) and entering the motor thru. the shaft. I took it apart again, re-set everything, and it is still leaking. Nothing looks off, but there's a solid drip every second or two, and I'm worried the water will fry the motor if I leave it on for long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.poolcenter.com/p/challenger-pump-high-flow

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.