Out of town for weekend...

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
I'll be out of town this weekend, about 3 days, and don't have anyone to care for the pool. I'd use pucks and crank up the chlorinator, but I like my current CYA level just right where it is.

So is the other solution is to just dump a certain amount of bleach before I head out? Let's say my pool's appetite is 2.5 ppm/day, and I'm out for 3 days, that's 7.5 ppm worth. Given my CYA of 45, my minimum FC is 3.5.

So can I just take my FC level to 12, and it'll fall to around 4 by the time I get back?

Chlorine usage is a percentage of your starting FC level, so you need quite a bit more chlorine than that. Still, that approach can work for three days. Raise the FC level to mustard algae shock level and you should be alright.

Thanks, Jason. I actually didn't have enough bleach on hand (trying to stick to a strict pool budget each month) to take it to MA shock level, so I took it to slightly above regular shock level.

Hopefully my FC will still be above my minimum when I get back on Sunday evening (after 3 full days of sun, including today).

Back from the trip... FC barely at the minimum level, but CC is near 0. Getting bleach.

Now I know the limits... another day would definitely be pushing it, even if starting at MA shock levels. Does anybody ever go on extended vacations without prepping the pool, planning to SLAM upon return?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.