Newbie Question - ODK by pool under roof, contained within enclosure - Anyone have?

RiffeShooter

Platinum Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
Lake Jackson, Texas
Hi all! We are currently in the process of building a pool and before the deck is poured I was going to throw in some conduit for propane and electric to have stubs coming out of the deck for a future build.

I would really like to have a TV out there as well so I would like to have a roof above that can also give shade for a dining table.

Here is my dilemma, we are also have the pool totally enclosed. This is a freestanding enclosure that is not attached to the house in any way. Does anyone have or has seen a structure within a screen pool enclosure? Does it look goofy? The screen enclosure will be normal height mansard style with 8' walls going up to around 13' I believe. My thoughts were to build the roof of the ODK at the same angle as the screen enclosure and probably do a gable style roof or a hipped roof.

Thanks!

Yea, can't really find any pics out there either. I found one with a tiki bar inside an enclosure that didn't look too bad. I guess it really isn't that important to have the roof, especially after I looked at the price of outdoor TVs and why you should not use a regular TV outdoors. LOL I'll do a thread in the under construction section on the pool though. Doesn't look like any work is going to be done this week and since you are in Pearland, you know what I'm talking about. :)

How big is the screen enclosure in relation to the pool? Is it 4 or 5 feet bigger all the way around? I think I might be tempted to try to cut the current enclosure, build your outdoor kitchen with roof and then tie the screen enclosure into it.

As for using an indoor TV outdoors, I have seen a lot of people do that and have the TV last a couple of years anyway. If it's a sheltered location I'd give it a shot with one of those cheap Walmart flatscreens and just see how long it lasts vs one of the super expensive outdoor ones.

How big is the screen enclosure in relation to the pool? Is it 4 or 5 feet bigger all the way around? I think I might be tempted to try to cut the current enclosure, build your outdoor kitchen with roof and then tie the screen enclosure into it.

As for using an indoor TV outdoors, I have seen a lot of people do that and have the TV last a couple of years anyway. If it's a sheltered location I'd give it a shot with one of those cheap Walmart flatscreens and just see how long it lasts vs one of the super expensive outdoor ones.

Yea, that's what I was thinking of doing, orrrrrrr, I do like the idea of a projection DLP with a screen like another post I saw. Would be easy to move in and out.

As to the size of the enclosure, the spot the kitchen would go I have extra decking going in that area. Bottom right of pic is the kitchen (or whatever) area.

Attachments

• pooldraw.jpg
    pooldraw.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 162
I have a 37" Normal TV ($400) outside for 18 months no problem. It's covered during the raining season but is uncovered most of the time, and it works fine. For the price of a sealed Outdoor TV which is about 8-10x, it is not worth it especially when technology changes a lot faster with normal TV's than outdoor TV's which are typically a few years behind.

Regarding the projector, that would only work at night or if you can tightly control the ambient lighting in which case with on ODK, you can't so unless you only want to watch in the evenings I would skip the projector route and go with a cheapo Costco TV that gives you a 2 year warranty :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.