replastering

Apr 21, 2014
Granite By, CA
We bought out house last year knowing the pool would need to be done soon. There were a few cracks in the plaster and some rust from rear was showing through in one area. The blue plaster was mottled and needed to be replaced. I was hoping to wait but decided to bite the bullet and get it done.

We got a few bids and decided on a vendor. They came and drained the pool and I was able to get in an evaluate the cracks. The were through the plaster and I could easily pick at and remove large pieces of plaster in the shallow end. The gunite unerneath looked good though.

The crew came out on Tuesday, yes, 4 days later, took a look and said we need all the plaster stripped and it was going cost a lot more money. I was not happy. When we signed the contract they told us the worst case scenario was problems with the gunite and it could cost us another thousand but not double that which they were stating now. Needless to say, I was not happy but we were in a jam as the pool is drained and we wanted the work done. After some negotiation, we got them to reduce the cost and they resumed work on Friday. Came back today, Tuesday, and finished the plastering.

I am filling it now.

I need to look at our contract again but I think the pool is 80 linear feet and the spa 24. Roughly 15 to 18k gallons?

(Having hard time uploading pics from my phone)

Was there a question here ... or looking to vent? ;)

Honestly, my semi-worthless opinion is that all the plaster should be chipped out any time you are going to replaster. Why put new stuff over old stuff that may not be well adhered to the gunite.

Not sure if this is your problem or not, but to raise your picture storage allotment, you either need to Become a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.