Want to switch to a sand filter unit...

Jun 25, 2013
Green Bay, WI
So i've had our Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" (AG), 6,423 gallons, with the stock 1500gph pump/filter for about a year now and i'm ready to move up to the next size.

The pump i've been looking at is this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-2400GPH-13-Sand-Filter-w-3-4-HP-Above-Ground-Swimming-Pool-Pump-10000GAL/35090564

Is this a good option?
Any pros/cons?
Can i use the existing valves on the pool for the hoses?
Is there a way to use a vaccum with this type of system?

I would like to stay around the $150 range if possible.

I think the filter pump you currently have might use 1 1/2 in. hoses. If it does, you would need some adapters and a pair of 1 1/4 in. hoses to make the new one work, since it has 1 1/4 in fittings. You could also look at the Intex sand filter pumps. They work well and would connect easily.

I have and would recommend the Intex 2650 gph sand filter. It has a 16" tank and holds approximately 100lbs of sand. The advantage to the larger filter will be less frequent backwashes. It moves enough water to provide good circulation and vacuums well without being over kill. It's definitely compatible with your pool. I switched from the 1500 gph cartridge filter myself, very satisfied.

I got mine from "vminnovations" online. I found the price from them to be the best, although I was a little worried about dealing with a company I hadn't heard of the transaction was flawless, and I found they had A+ BBB rating, and 4.8 out of 5 seller reviews on Amazon. The price delivered should be about $180. I think you'll find the extra $30 we'll spent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.