Decking Choices, IPE? Treated? Trex?

Blueskies21

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2011
Middle TN
So we just poured our concrete and I've got questions about that in another thread but I left a 10x15 ft space for an essentially on-ground (2-4 inches above) wood deck just out of the backdoor. I'm considered whether "wood deck" really needs to mean wood and if so what type. I'm very interested in IPE decking, has anyone used it and if so where did you get it? I don't think I can find it locally. Good or Bad experiences with that?

What are ya'll's thoughts on the various composite decking? Seems like the most ubiquitous is TREX but I know there are a bunch of different types. I'm not sure I LOVE the fake wood aspect but if any of you have that kind of decking and just love it I'd like to hear for you too.

The theme being... what kind of "wood" should I use to build my deck?!?

I would go with IPE. That is some beautiful wood and it will last virtually for your lifetime. Try Ipedepot although their are several suppliers you should shop and compare. Usually it is installed with ipe clips which gives you an unblemished look. Be warned that it is hard to work with. You will need carbide tipped cutting tools to cut it. Google IPE and click the images tab for some pictures.

One thing to remember is that these composite products typically cost 3-5 times the price of wood. Depending on the climate a pressure treated wood deck can generally last at least 10-15 years with only minor maintenance and may go 20+ years before requiring significant work / redecking, so you really have yourself if it is worth the extra money.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.