Sand coming out of intex filter backwash?

Jun 4, 2013
B.A. Okla.
A little over a month into our second season with an intex sand filter. It's never been open since new. My wife backwashed it yesterday in to the dog's little pool, why I don't know and don't really care to know but there was a bunch of sand there. Just a regular ~10" high plastic kiddie pool with 40-50% coverage of its bottom with sand.

I'm going to disconnect it and open it up today to see if it still has a good amount of sand, it seems like it needs backwashing a lot more frequently than what I remember. Anything wrong I should look for? or do these just do that/normal?

It should not be losing sand either in filter or backwash mode. Does it lose any sand in filter mode? You may want to open up the multi-port valve and check the spider gasket. Did the filter stay out over the winter? If so you may need to check the laterals and stand pipe for freeze damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.