water coming out of return on waste mode - sand filter

May 20, 2013
It's been a while since I've been on the boards! After opening our pool for the summer all has been well until 2 weeks ago. We have almost been in our new house for a year so we're still learning....We replaced our old pump with a new one (pentair whisperflo) which works awesome but that has created problems with our pump. I believe my husband did not place the valve back on the filter correctly after installing the new pump but I need help with troubleshooting the problem. Last night we had to vacuum to waste, while doing this, water was coming out of the pump (Back wash line?) as usual. BUT in addition to that, water was also coming out the return back into the pool. I don't usually vacuum, my husband does it. So I'm trying to figure out if the valve is on the pump wrong? I think this is the problem but not positive...Any help or suggestions will be helpful as we are still newbies. I would love to get a DE filter if we can't get the problem solved because even after replacing the sand in this filter last year, I still don't think it filters very well.

I've tried to attach a picture of our filter but not sure if I got it...Here's a link, this is an old pic, we replaced the valve last year.

https://flic.kr/p/f4xwb3

Attachments

• 9229094214_11553906d9_b.jpg
    9229094214_11553906d9_b.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 30
The "valve" is on the top of the filter. The new motor is attached to the pump that pumps water up to the multiport valve and into the filter. I think you're confusing the terms.

I also think you might have a problem with the spider gasket under that multiport valve. You just need to order the one to fit your valve and then unscrew the six bolts that hold the top of the valve down and there is the gasket !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNyQZEhwdoE

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.