FAS-DPD, Eh whats that? Again.

20140619_130411_zpsz28zycto.jpg

This is how she looks currently.

You will have to get a SWG that is rated for 60,000 gallons and you might need long run times to handle that swim load. You can install two SWGs to make enough chlorine and lower the run time if needed.

Check out using a large stenner system to inject chlorine, use the search function and lots of info will come up.

For now, keep up the bleach and brushing.

Is it just really a matter of preference when it comes to SWGs or is there a marked difference in performance and lifetime of the cells depending on make? I guess I would be looking at an IntelliChlor IC 60 or AutoPilot Chlorine Generator 60. Any other suggestions?

Mostly it is a matter of preference if you stick with the major brands, however economics do come into play to a degree, as do the features. I forget which major brand (Pentair?) only allows very course adjustments unless you also have their automation system.

Since opening I have been running the pump 24/7, this is my first pool so I didn't have the faintest idea how to care for one, pool company must know what they are talking about, right?! If I were to invest in 2 SWG cells, could they be run off the same control box by any chance? Or do I need to shell out for 2 complete systems?

I think you need 2 complete systems ... at least I am not aware of any the run 2 cells off one box.

Likely 24/7 is more that you will need in maintenance mode, but did not know what was required as it almost sounds like this is a resort / public pool if there are 30+ people in it ... unless you just like to party :party:

Ha ha, fair point, I own a small hostel for backpackers visiting Guatemala. This site seems to have a no nonsense approach to pool maintenence and I wanted to get my pool looking the way it should and not have to do too much to get it that way, obviously being used by backpackers daily puts a strain on it, especially as the climate here is sub tropical so lots of sweaty bodies. The pool company doesn't much like that I have another source of information which contradicts them, glad I fould it so early on.

Hope I didn't break any rules being from a commercial-esq standing, and can continue to get good information.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh man ... a hostel ... for college kids ... get a VERY big SWG :mrgreen: I imagine there is a fair amount of :party: and :cheers: going on in that pool :lol:

No rules broken. The reason I brought it up is that in parts of the US there are extra rules that "public" pools must follow. I am going to guess that where you are, there may not be any rules :D

- - - Updated - - -

I am willing to personally get your pool setup and perfect .... just PM me and I will give you my address for you to send me a first class airline ticket ... make if 4 for the whole family ;)

I am going to guess that where you are, there may not be any rules :D)

That's about the size of it, and again you are right that there will be lots of :cheers: but hopefully no :puker: it has not really been given a chance yet after we broke it the first party we had in it. :dj: but now I am getting her back to how it should be, it's horrible looking at a greenish tinged water, can't even see the tiles at the bottom, yeuch.

So as I have these grimy kids getting in the pool, am I going to need a sonic turbocharged GTI SWG blaster?

There are other option (which I know little about) you could consider given the high "load" on the pool.

You certainly want to get a large SWG if you go that route, but the use of supplemental oxidizers, like UV or ozone, could make sense to help remove the waste. We do not recommend them in low use private outdoor pools, but you do not really fall into that category.

Just done some reading on Corona Discharge ozonators, interesting stuff but how would this fit in with the TFP method of keeping my pool clean? not at all no, or am I missing something. Ozonators appear to not need or use chlorine unless you think I should use it in conjunction with a hefty SWG? Sorry for all the questions I'm an engineer. :scratch:

The ozone would just help the chlorine to breakdown the nasties in the water. It actually also breaks down some of the FC as well which is why they do not make sense for low use outdoor pools. But for indoor or high use pools with a lot of waste, the ozone could help breakdown the CC in the water.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS. In your case it may "need" the help of ozone.

I agree with Jason, you MAY need some supplemental oxidation, however you are in the tropics with fairly intense sunlight so the added UV exposure may be enough. I would not worry about it yet, and see how things go without it.

Wow, when I started asking questions I thought I had a handle on rougly how the process would be. My head is now chockabloc with new ideas of how to try and keep the water sparkling. Didn't know a thing called ozonators existed but have just been studying them, this could be the way to go. I was starting to think I would be adding chlorine multiple times during the day to keep the FC up, but the SWG and ozone generator combo would automate a lot of the process, then I would try and keep the pool in line with the test kits and adjusting accordingly.

Right, so I have been throwing in bleach for a couple of days now, and today I came across another thread where cheap bleach and additives was being discussed. I went off to test the pH of the pool as well as the OTO, chlorine was very low again as it was first thing this morning 1.5ppm, and the pH was at <6.8 Right before I dumped another 4 gallons in. Is this a concern as I still don't have clear water and have no alternative bleach here. Should I throw in a load of pH Up, as that is all I have here

No bleach additives I am aware of would lower the pH. Using the cheap stuff will raise the pH some ... well all bleach raises the pH when you add it, but the pH goes back down when the FC is consumed ... cheap bleach with a lot of lye will raise the pH more.

Yes you should raise the pH and keep it in the 7s. What you have is likely over-priced soda ash (sodium carbonate).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.