Just Opened and Pool is still green...

Jun 19, 2014
Virginia
First, I did my best to read previous threads trying to find where I might have went wrong.

I opened my pool a 10,000 gallon inground a week ago and went through the process of shocking it. I used the green to Clean product with the shock and then used floc. The Green to Clean did work to some extent. It definitely got better, but not white and milk like I expected. It became a light green. I tried to super chlorinate it again, but no change. I talk to the folks at the pool store and they suggested that it might be copper. My water source is NOT a well, but I went got the water tested anyway. There was no trace of copper. My Test results are:
FAC 3
TAC 3
pH 7.4
TA 90
CA 0
CH 200
TDS 1150
Cu/Fe 0

It seems that the basin is somewhat stained and I have a stain remover that I can use, but can that cause the water to keep a green color as well? I didn't want to put the stain remover in yet, but should I? There is still some debris (not a whole lot), since I can't see too well to do a good vacuuming. Please point me in the right direction. I'm exhausted.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

So, for you to take control, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and spend some time here reading and learning.

To clear your pool up you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... this is very different than what the pool stores will tell you to do, but this works every time.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome to the forum.
If you have more pool chemicals stop using them until you read through pool school and figure out if you want to go Trouble Free Pool way or the pool store way. They don't really mix well.
Taking it for granted you chose this method : Before you start your SLAM, once you've read what it is you should get as much stuff out of the pool as possible. Start with the leaf rake and even if you can't see the bottom keep raking slowly and pull out everything you can. The more stuff you get out the less chemical (bleach) you'll need to use to clear up the water.

Don't think about it, just break down and order the TF100 kit http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html as you'll need it and in the end it will save you more money than gas running to the pool store and keep you away from "toss this in" pool store advise. It's also way more accurate which will also save you money in chemicals.
You will be doing you own tests and there are videos https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main to help and then pool math to help you figure out how much of what you need to add http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
This way may look a little intimidating at first but it all comes together pretty easy and you have lots of help available 24/7.

All you need is chlorine and if your CYA level is really zero, then get some in there. Up to 30ppm right now.

SLAM'ing is Shock Level And Maintain. You are not SLAMing because the level is too low. You have to maintain the shock level with chlorine.

Get the test kit mentioned to you by jblizzle, and read the links provided to you. You can find many more educational links in the Pool School link, at the top right of every page. We will be here to answer any questions you may have once you order a test kit and start your SLAM. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.