Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Paging Salt Experts - Excess Hydrogen Production???

1. Back To Top    #1

Paging Salt Experts - Excess Hydrogen Production???

Here's the scenario:

Commercial outdoor pool - small maybe 30k. Pool and spa just renovated and converted to salt with controllers. Spa works fine.

Pool system produces lots of Hydrogen, resulting in -mV ORP and struggles to keep up with demand I assume because the hydrogen is reducing the chlorine.

I've seen this before, but have always found it to happen in low pH or high phosphate scenarios. This pool had high phospates but they have been removed and the pH is fine.

All other water chemistry parameters one would normally test are fine, and the spa right next to it with virtually the same water runs fine.

Any of you salt pros have a clue what else to look for that might cause increased hydrogen?

TIA.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Paging Salt Experts - Excess Hydrogen Production???

There are a couple of approaches that I know about, but none of them are easy.

One option, if you have more than one SWG cell, is to run one, or more, cell(s) always on and the remaining cell(s) on the controller. The always on cells should maintain hydrogen saturation and the ORP reading will again track the chlorine level. Even though ORP will be much lower than normal, it will still go up when chlorine goes up and down when chlorine goes down.

Various changes to the plumbing, often completely impractical, can sometimes help. Shorter return lines under lower pressure seem to improve things somewhat.

I have heard of devices that can remove the dissolved hydrogen from the water entering the ORP test cell, though they seem to be expensive. Alternatively, hydrogen gas can be introduced into the water prior to the test cell to achieve saturation level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School