How much household bleach should I buy?

May 17, 2014
Winnipeg
I am a total white-belt at pool maintenance so I have no idea how much bleach I might be going through this summer using the TFP/BBB method. I hope to have my pool set-up and filled by the end of this month. It will be filled by commercial truck delivery who uses city water which to my limited understanding should make initial adjustments a little easier because it shouldn't contain any algae. I think we'll be able to use the pool 2-3 months maximum this year (knock on wood). So, anybody have an idea how much bleach I should stock up on if I find a decent price? :D

Hello kookookachoo! I keep around 5-7 jugs of bleach in the basement and when I get down to 2, I buy 3 or 4 more.

Typical bleach use is around 2 ppm per day, but this varies based on a number of factors, sunlight level, CYA level, amount of organics in the pool, etc. At 2 ppm per day in your size pool a gallon of 8.25% bleach will last you about 5 days.

Ike

Great, I'll start with 6 gallons and see how far that takes me. Do you think I should buy some borax and baking soda now also or just wait and see if it's needed? How much should I have on hand if it's needed? I know this probably depends on a lot of factors, I'd just like to be as prepared as possible. My pool will be exposed to full sun all day long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.