is a new Hayward pump "plug and play"?

Jul 15, 2008
I'm sorry to be asking such a dumb question, but after having read the posts of the experts, you guys seem to have a lot of patience with us newbies. So here's my dumb question: i bought a new Hayward sand filter and pump (power flo max 1.5) from my local Leslie's. I got home, filled up the sand filter and made all the connections. Then i plugged the pump in and everything has been running great; in 3 years my pool has never looked better. Today, while reading the pump's user manual, i saw that there are several pages on just the wiring instructions. Also, there's a ground screw on the pump that i assume is just begging to be wired to something. The pump that came with the house was never grounded, and since the outlet is a GFI (and tests well), i never thought about it before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The lug on the pump is for the bond wire. Everything conductive that contacts (or could contact) the pool water or is close to the pool is supposed to be wired together with a copper bond wire.

The electrician that ran our outlet drove a ground rod beside the outlet, and bonded the pool and pump to it. I'm thinking #6 solid bare is what they used. They used a compression lug and placed it under one of the nuts of the metal connecting panel on the pool (the panel that connects the ends of the wall), and ran the wire back from that to the ground rod, as well as a run from the pump lug. Hey, it passed inspection, who am I to compain?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.