I've got a pool store story

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
I've been doing a lot of reading on this site. I called the pool store to let them know that the utility folks had been by to mark utilities. I started asking about liquid chlorine container size and prices. Here is what I was told..."I would strongly caution against using only liquid chlorine. It will bleach out your liner over time, it will cause solids to get high, it's not stable, your pool will get cloudy and you'll end up draining your pool. I recommend Pool Rx in the pump housing and tablets." Geez...that sure does sound a lot easier than tfpc/BBB. However...I am sold on the BBB idea. I've always enjoyed science, so the testing and adding chemicals really doesn't scare me.

I haven't read any complaints from anyone on this forum about bleaching out their liners from using liquid chlorine. Is it a problem that just isn't talked about?

After all my reading, it didn't sound like anything I was told was correct. Was any of that correct? It's hard to believe that using liquid chlorine over any other source of chlorine (tabs) would be so problematic.

Liquid Chlorine is problematic for the pool store because it has a shelf life, it can spill, and it takes up a lot of space. They can fit 10X the dollar value in pucks in the same space as cases of liquid chlorine. The more cynical might note that it also doesn't cause problems that lead to sales of scale remover and miracle shock powder and phosphate remover...

The really funny thing is, if you look in the back of any pool service truck in SoCal, every last one of them has the orange and yellow plastic crates for Hasa bleach and acid!

I wouldn't go as far to say they are liars....but they are at the very least misinformed. Trusting pool store employees to your water chemistry is often the same as trusting a high school kid who's too lazy to work at the grocery store. (no offense to anyone in this scenario). They don't have to walk as much or deal with as many people as they would in a grocery store.

Hey, wait up guys! The pool store said "Don't use chlorine only" This is CORRECT.

You MUST use Stabilizer ALSO.

Most pool stores do not realize that we are capable of adding items separately when needed opposed to in their oh-so convenient combo packs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.