Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test with TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

First test with TF-100

Well, I took my first tests with my new TF -100 today. Today was also the day that the setup guy came out. I filled the pool Friday night, and started treating Saturday night, using what I learned here with the basic test kit that came with the pool. So I have had it up and running for 4 days counting today, and the setup guy was curious about what I was using. I had told him over the phone that when he fixed the plumbing leaks, that I wanted the Frog taken out. His manager absolutely refused to allow him to do that. When he told her that I was treating it myself, she replied sarcastically, "Probably bleach!". This made him very curious, so he asked me about what I was doing. I referred him to this site, and tried to explain to him as well as I could about the BBB method, reminding him that I was a newbie. He said in the 3 years that he has done this work, NO ONE has told him that they had a plan beforehand on how to maintain their pool. He left the BacPac, but said he would not even bother putting it in. My results were as follows:

FC - 6
    TC - 6
    CC - 0
    ph - 7.2
    TA - 50
    CH - did not test
    CYA - did not test (added 3 lbs yesterday per the pool calculator)
    30' round AGP, 21,240 gallons
    Sta-Rite 1.5 hp pump, sand filter with Zeobrite
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.; Polaris 65
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test with TF-100

You should bring your TA up to between 70 and 90 with baking soda. That will also raise the PH a little, which will be good.

You should test your CH level every once in a long while. Low CH isn't an issue, but high CH levels could cause problems.

Many builders get paid to put the Frog in. I suspect that is why they don't want to take it out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Excellent decision! (re: Froggy gone bye-bye )
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

UUmmmmmm excuse me for being ignorant but whats a frog ? I see them mentione on here all the time ......
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is a good overview of the "Frog" products that are available. It is a system for feeding trichlor and silver into the water. Silver acts as an algaecide.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Just got in from a business trip. I treated with baking soda after the first tests, and the TA came up slightly, as did the pH. After this latest test, I added bleach and baking soda as per the calculator ( with my FC goal as 4,and the TA goal at 70, to come up slowly). I removed the Frog myself this evening.

FC - 1
    TC - 1
    CC - 0
    ph - 7.5
    TA - 60
    30' round AGP, 21,240 gallons
    Sta-Rite 1.5 hp pump, sand filter with Zeobrite
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.; Polaris 65
    BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

Good Deal....I'd say beginning tomorrow or Friday bump your FC target to 2ppm, not letting it drift below that level....your CYA should start to do the job and start to register over the weekend.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com