Absorbic Acid Treatment - more AA or more sequestrant or more patience?

Jul 6, 2013
I have some light stains on the sides from the water line at closing and black stains on the bottom.

Today I did an AA treatment. I used 5 lbs of AA and 2Q of ProTeam Metal Magic. I do not have a circulate cycle or a backwash system so I'm just keeping the filter on 24/7.

I sprinkled the acid around the edges per the article and those stains seem to have disappeared. I was unable to get the AA directly on the stains in the middle of the pool and in the deep end.

What are my next steps? How do I know if I used enough AA? What if I used enough AA but not enough sequestrant? Can I add more sequestrant tomorrow or did I miss my window since I already added all of the AA?

Tonight I threw in a few vitamin C tablets and some of the dark stains on the bottom disappeared and some lightened (although they left a yellow powder which I assume is just from the tablet, not metal, but what do I know?)

I may just need to wait a few more days... If I wait a few more days, how much algaecide should I be adding daily?

Patience is a virtue that I just don't have!!

Ok this morning the pool looked better. The stains on the bottom are lighter. Since I don't have any more acid and don't want to wait for it to be shipped I threw in a number of handfuls of Vitamin C tabs. The stains are definitely better where the tabs land. Then I added 2 more quarts of ProTeam Metal Magic. I also added another 10 ounces of algaecide. I am going to wait another 24 hours and tomorrow I will start to rebalance the pool.

I would say that so far the stains are completely gone or lightened up significantly. I'm hoping with more time and more Metal Magic that within a few days almost everything will be gone. If not, I can go through the process again at the end of the season or perhaps at opening next year.

I will post pics at some point and inform anyone who's interested about my process. Hardest part is not knowing if you need more acid or Metal Magic or just waiting to see what happens over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.