Polaris 180 Tail issue

May 31, 2014
Houston
The tail keeps falling off my polaris. I was about to replace it although I had a pool guy looking at something the other day and he said he "doesnt believe in them, turns the jet to the tail off". Said they are just a nuisance since they spray water all over the windows.

I can't find a whole lot of information to suggest that the tail is in fact needed or not. Any thoughts on this? Trying to decide if its worth replacing the tail section or just turning the water off and letting him roll without a tail. :confused:

I have a different Polaris, but the diagram of a 180 tail looks like mine. I switched to (added really) a no spray tail. It doesn't spray windows, people and cats any more. However it often gets filled with small oak leaves, then it stops swishing. I've notice that when the tail doesn't swish, the Polaris tends to repeat the same patterns more often and gets stuck waiting for the backup valve to rescue it more often. The tail seems to randomize things.

My tail is held on by a clamp (as is the 180, if the blowup diagram is right). Maybe you need a new clamp? That's a pretty cheap fix. Or maybe cut off a little bit if the end of the tail is damaged. Fixing the tail should be much cheaper than replacing it. Although if your rings are worn, you might want to replace it anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.