Variable Speed Pump and filter system

May 29, 2014
Simi Valley, CA
We recently bought a house with a pool knowing that the equipment was dated and would need to be replaced. I have been shopping the variable speed motors due to the cost savings and $200 rebate currently being offered in CA. Reviews are all over the place and it honestly seems like dumb luck whether your pump lasts a year or 5 years. Further the service issues I have heard about are pretty scary. I would love some recommendations on a variable speed pump, paring this with a filter (I think dst) and maybe even a small pool heater. Currently the pool has an old Hayward that is about to die, a huge gas heater that at some point had a fire, and it does have water heating panels on the roof. I figure the pool to be about 18000 gallons and am ready to replace the whole system. Any help would be wonderful.

we installed several family pools with at least 3 pentair components (pump,filter,swcg) to get a 3 year warranty. making the process easy was also the fact that we had called on pentair tech support line previously and they had a local area company visit on site inside 48 hours, problem resolved at no cost under warranty. we repeated this process at year 3, again, same easy and fast response.

our main motivation for doing this was quiet run mode and easy maintenance.

servicing and setup/replacement is also easy as long as unions are used with pump,filter and swcg.

I Installed a Pentair automation system last year when my old pumps died. I have the intelliflow VF. It will be an expensive pump to repair when it gives out, but it runs at much slower speeds so I hope it will last much longer. It uses far less energy than my old 3/4 hp single stage pump. I set it for about 1 pool water turnover a day and it runs at about 250 watts and 15 GPM. It is also very quiet.
I think Pentair just changed it warranty giving less coverage if you do the install yourself. I ordered the equipment online and did the install. My article is posted here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/downloads/DIYautomationInstall.pdf -- It is about installing full automation and may be mor than you are looking for. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.