Poolscaping help needed please! = )

May 27, 2014
Millbury, MA
We recently just purchased a new home with an in ground pool on the property. The old owners did not do much upkeep around the pool area and it is in need of some help. Unfortunately we have already put about $15k into the inside of the home and don’t have much to contribute to this project.

As you can see by the pictures it is all patchy grass, weeds, dirt, and some old stone....not level either. The concrete around the edges is brand new; installed with the new liner a month before we purchased.

Any ideas on DIY projects to get us through a summer or two? We thought about rubber mulch, wood chips, or pea stone but not sure how it will feel on our kids bare feet and also trying to avoid getting into the pool. Also want a nice area that we don’t have to mow and can sit around with lawn chairs. = )

Any advice/suggestions GREATLY appreciated! 1st time home owners and new to all the "do's and dont's". Thank You In Advance!

Attachments

• ISpdb7455ti7e60000000000.jpg
    ISpdb7455ti7e60000000000.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 239
  • ISh79vly0laae60000000000.jpg
    ISh79vly0laae60000000000.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 231
i visualize replacing old stone with new stone and ripping up every stitch of grass and putting in a rock garden around that pool along with replacing that rickety looking wood fence with either vinyl or aluminum pool fence. i see potential to make that a heck of a nice pool.

With landscaping you should begin with the larger elements that take time to grow. So if you want trees to frame or screen a view, select them now and prepare the soil well before planting in a spot that allows for full mature growth. That could be trees or large shrubs planted inside or outside of the current fence.
Ás you decide where you want a bed begin with the soil, then consider irrigation and drainage.
As for plants, the local nursery ought to be able to help you with plant suggestions. If you have a drawing of a bed with circles drawn indicating general size of big and little plants they can help find plants of a size and variety that you can afford.

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions from folks with vinyl liners. But I doubt you want any kind of mulch or stone that little feet could drag into the pool. Have you looked at Houzz or Pinterest for some ideas? Maybe add some kind of soft groundcover or some stepping stones with some flowering bushes in the inside corners of the fence to soften it. Or the least expensive, just fertilize the grass and water the heck out of it. That will get you through a season or two.

Congrats on your new home! Are you new to the area or just the home? I would start by removing loose stones or other things that could be tripping hazards or "fun toys" to throw in the pool. For now, I would keep the grass and spend a summer getting to know the sunny/shady areas, temperature, etc. I can't tell how much room you have between the fence and pool. I would first place your lawn chairs, any table, pool toy storage unit, etc first. Then, I would use pots and planters to "test run" some plants and see how they do in different locations around the pool area.

After a season, you will have a better sense of how you want to use the area and what is most needed to enhance the experience.

Nothing is more discouraging than planting a beautiful tree or row of shrubs/hedges only to realize later it doesn't work for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.