Clean Hayward perflex DE tubes

eddieb

May 24, 2014
New Jersey
Hi, I really need to clean the DE flex tubes with TSP just wondering what type of bucket is ideal to use? 5 gal or completely submerge everything bump handle and all in the trash can.

I have a 5 gal home depot bucket (12" diameter) but the top part seems to rest right in the center of the gasket, that's like a 50 buck part and do not want to ruin that.

if I go the plastic trash can route, is it safe to just lay the whole top part upside down inside it?

I'm going to try using just the SAVOGRAN TSP first, I'll use muriatic acid only as a last resort if I have too. taking this apart takes about 10 min anyway.

But if I wind up having to soak in MA
I read around to use a 20-1 mix, but the Hayward Perflex owners manual read mix 1-1 with 20% muriatic acid, Lowes has that percent in a gallon container, 20% or not that seems a bit high to me considering 36% is normal.

also looking for input if anyone has used Leslie grid cleaner? either way I need to clean them its been about 7 years and running high on fresh charge lately .

Thanks
Ed

Last edited:
Thanks, I wound up using a orange home depot bucket with a little over a cup TSP soaked about 4 hours, gently pumped the handle a few times during the soak then again when rinsing it, put everything back together and added 4 1/2 lb DE gauge now running at 9 and return very powerful just like when we first got it. don't know why I did not do this years ago. the gasket resting on the bucket ridge did not do anything, this would also be perfect for a acid soak as well but glad I did not need that.

Ed

Note that you can take the plates apart and remove the tubes to soak them. There are 72 to120 tubes, depending on the model, so that can be a pain to disassemble and reassemble.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.