Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally found liquid chlorine, should I?

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally found liquid chlorine, should I?

Hi All again,

Thanks again for all the superb information here. I have learned so much...

Now on to my quandrum... I am still in the shock process trying to defeat algae. My FC is testing about 10 in the morning after bringing it to 23 the night before. My CYA is about 90 which I know is high, but is down from around 140. I have been doing this for a week now and the pool is a pretty blue, but very cloudy. All of my other numbers are in the proper ranges so I assume I need to continue shocking until I lose no more than 1ppm FC overnight.

This makes me add a little more than 5 gallons of 6% bleach each time I shock. I have purchased countless bottles of Ultra bleach from Walmart at $2.54 per 174 oz. The largest problem is purchasing enough of them as well as the location. I live out in the country and Walmart is about a 1 hour detour.

I have found a Water and Pool company that sales 12% liquid chlorine in 55 gallon drums for $140.25. If my math is correct that comes out to $2.55 a gallon versus $3.76 for the same strength of Ultra 6% bleach.

The price is definitely better, but I have reservations about buying that large of a quantity.

1. How will I get it off my truck? Not sure about the weight of it. ~ 450lbs?
    2. Where exactly should I store it?
    3. Can it go bad or degrade in strength before I use it all?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always.
    26,000 vinyl IG pool
    Hayward 300lb sand filter
    1 1/2 HP pump
    Jacuzzi Tracker

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finally found liquid chlorine, should I?

Storage is the key, a cool, dry, darker place will help it retains it's strength. 55 gallons is a lot. I know you have been adding alot but it will taper off.....

I have seen 12.5% gallon jugs at my local pool store for as low as $2.50 a jug, so I don't know necessarily that you need to purchase that much to get a good price. Trying to remember where you are located....any other pool suppliers nearby that sell the LQ by the jug? Even 5 gallon jugs?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I am located in Alabama. I do wish someone close by carried liquid chlorine, but I have called every one of them and they do not. They ask me why I am looking for it and that is when I get the chance to tell them about BBB. They are not too keen on it needless to say.
    26,000 vinyl IG pool
    1 1/2 HP pump
    Jacuzzi Tracker

4. Back To Top    #4

Home Depot, Lowe's, maybe? I've heard they sometimes have the 12%. Maybe you can get 6% at a good price at a closer grocery or where's your nearest Target?

I have a pool that contains approx. 9400 gallons, in the sunlight, and uses approx. 2 cups 6% a day. When your water is clear and balance good, you will be surprised at how little bleach it really takes to maintain. My CYA is about 40, btw.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the suggestion. There is a Home Depot right across the street from Walmart, so I will check them out today. Yeah, I can't wait until I can add minimal amounts of bleach.
    26,000 vinyl IG pool
    1 1/2 HP pump
    Jacuzzi Tracker

6. Back To Top    #6

Check in your local yellow pages of the phone book. I found liquid chlorine at a chemical supply company. Call pressure washing companies and cleaning chemical companies. You might be suprised at what you might find. When I asked my local pool store for liquid chlorine, they thought I was crazy.
    18' x 36' inground vinyl liner 300# sand filter Blue Diamond Robot Cleaner BBB method

7. Back To Top    #7

Our local WalMart sell 10% chlorine in boxes with 2 one gal jugs in a box. It's in the pool section. This is the first year I've seen it.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod30
    Our local WalMart sell 10% chlorine in boxes with 2 one gal jugs in a box. It's in the pool section. This is the first year I've seen it.
    Word must be getting out!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Most places that sell 55 gallon drums of bleach also sell 15 gallon mini-drums.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Swimgirl
    Maybe you can get 6% at a good price at a closer grocery or where's your nearest Target?
    Ditto. If Walmart is an hour out of your way, check out the price difference at your local grocery store. Even if it cost a little less, it may be worth the time and gas to get it there, at least while your need is so high.
    10K White Plaster Pool Built in 2007. Hayward Pump and DE Filter, Hayward Navigator, Liquidator (Removed due to issues), Solar Blanket, BBB user.

11. Back To Top    #11

we have that two pack of liquid at our walmart too (ohio) but, I found the exact same thing at (single gallons) at Krogers for only $2.69 gal (10%)...and at walmart it was around $6.46 for two 1 gals.

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by chrisa
    we have that two pack of liquid at our walmart too (ohio) but, I found the exact same thing at (single gallons) at Krogers for only $2.69 gal (10%)...and at walmart it was around $6.46 for two 1 gals.

chris
    I'll have to check my local Walmart and Kroger for this. Can you tell me what section of the store it is located in?
    10K White Plaster Pool Built in 2007. Hayward Pump and DE Filter, Hayward Navigator, Liquidator (Removed due to issues), Solar Blanket, BBB user.

13. Back To Top    #13

walmart has them on a end section next to the pool supplies...in a plain cardboard type box.

and at kroger it was also on a end section (not main aisle, end side of main aisle) with the summer stuff/toys....I was suprised to see it there (rarely shop there) but, I went back today and got 6 gallons and they look like they might be running low.

I also go to Sam's club and get the 3 pack of big bottles of clorox...think its around $6.40 or so.

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)