Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump only leaks when off

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump only leaks when off

I have a Hayward SP1515 1.5 HP pump that I purchased last summer for my above ground pool. I noticed that it was leaking around the lid when the pump is off. I purchased a new o-ring and replaced it. I usually run my pump constantly but the past couple of days we have had a lot of storms so I turned it off (cuz of all of the leaves that blow in while I am at work) I noticed that even with the rain my waterlevel went down a bit ....that is when I realized it is still coming out around the lid.

Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump only leaks when off

Welcome to TFP!!

There may be some debris on the sealing parts of the lid or pump housing, or the lid may not be tight enough. OR... there may be a crack in either of those. When you run the pump, is it fully air free? If not Pool School*a MUST READ for EVERYONE has an articlehere that may help with narrowing down any crack or leak.

Please keep us informed as to what you try and what does/ doesn't work
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump only leaks when off

I had a leak there as well but replacing the o-ring did the trick. I guess one thing to check is that you got the right o-ring. And then, as was said above, check for cracks there somewhere that's causing things not to seal properly.

Steve
    24' Round Above-Ground Pool, 13500 Gallons
    Triton Meteor Sand Filter