Cleaning with pool acid killed my cells?

Apr 15, 2010
Las Vegas
Hey everyone, well I have a question for the group. As many may have seen my post on Intex SWG modding and such I'm using a pair in series on my inground pool.
When they have calcifyed I cleaned them according to the Hayward manual as I had no vniger on hand and have continued that way for a few years. 4pt water, 1 part acid, soak for approx 12 mins and the bubbling ceased and rinse well.
Well starting up the pool for the season with my new for last seasons replacment pair on itex SWG with the new design CLEAR cells w/copper. and i have a familiar problem, FC keeps hitting zero and pool goes green. I checked the output on swg #1 and output is way down. unit 2 keeps throwing a hi salt error and has for weeks. I swapped the cells and the problem followed the cell interestingly. I started last season with 2 extra cells and they both cracked and leaked around the cells power fitting. these units replaced the original units i had that i modded when they finnaly stopped producing decent FC and the pool started going green. So thats 4 units and 6 cells total:( Now I know what everyone is thinking now, cripes why didnt he just buy a pro unit for all that money? Trust me that was my 1st choice but money is extremly tight with unreliable hours and 2 little boys now. So for me a SWG is a luxury.
I have been fortunate and have gotten the units replaced under warranty and the spare cells very inexpensivly. The original units I purchased on clearance as well.
My question is did I kill the cells cleaning them this way? are they coated with somthing not as good as say a Hayward and can only tolorate viniger?
I keep my water balanced at all times i log each of my activites on the pool and have 5 full size sheets from the past with 25plus lines each. Funny I started that to keep track of my 1st algie battle years back and it just got to be a habbit and good record.
Im curious if the new 90deg outlet cell units that pull out the end are even worth trying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.