New owner/builder in Las Vegas

Things are moving...slooooooowly. Moving nonetheless
egebesu2.jpg

5u8udata.jpg

ha2eruhe.jpg

Stone goes on tomorrow and hopefully coping by Saturday. I'm really pushing to get this done for my 2 week vacation after the 4th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words. I've really been stressing about this thing coming together and not looking like a patchwork job since I'm doing it myself. My next concern comes with the coping. I really like the look of flagstone but don't want to replace it in a few years because of flaking so I think I'm going with belgard pavers. I know these get hot but I don't really know what else I can do. Really hoping they can finish the coping and decking this week so they can put in the Pebble Tec next week.

Late update:

I finished filling the pool the morning of my personal deadline of July 4th. So happy to have the pool done for at least half of the hot Vegas summer!
Everyday I want to leave work early to go home and swim but at the same time realize I need to stay late to make extra money to start on the landscaping. It looks really bare without any greenery but that will come in time.
If anyone is on the fence about doing an owner/builder it is totally worth it. Aside from the cost savings it was nice to change things around whenever I wanted.
I was really regretting the Pebble Tec the first day. By day 2 I didn't even notice it. Again many thanks to We_like_it_hot for taking a cold call from me back in February and answering my endless questions about the owner/builder process.
jevyhe4e.jpg

aqapazuq.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the tile and stonework look great. The tanning shelf looks really nice. how do you like the bubblers on it? We didn't go with those but now I'm thinking the dogs would have really enjoyed them! - Karen
We love them...more so for the fact of them being another source of light in the pool at night but I'm really pleased with the bubbling functionality also

I LOVE it!! I really like your choices in stone, tile and pavers. I'm in Henderson and have an old, ugly pool that we are hoping to renovate in the next couple of years and I've been looking for ideas. Thanks for sharing your build.

Great build, I love the look! I'm in the same boat as you, my PB estimates were coming in around 6 figures, so I'm taking on my project myself. How much do you think you'll end up saving in the end? Is there something you would do differently if you could go back?

With me so far, I've learned to pay a little extra if it means understanding the sub you're working with. I saved a lot of money on my excavation, but the headaches really weren't worth it because he couldn't understand the fine details I was trying to explain. Since then, I've made sure that I won't have any problems communicating my details to the sub.

Thanks for the kind compliment Foxy.

Great build, I love the look! I'm in the same boat as you, my PB estimates were coming in around 6 figures, so I'm taking on my project myself. How much do you think you'll end up saving in the end? Is there something you would do differently if you could go back?

With me so far, I've learned to pay a little extra if it means understanding the sub you're working with. I saved a lot of money on my excavation, but the headaches really weren't worth it because he couldn't understand the fine details I was trying to explain. Since then, I've made sure that I won't have any problems communicating my details to the sub.

Corleone, from the bids I got from the pool builders, I'm guessing that I saved somewhere around $20,000. I was really amazed at how easy of a project it was. Most of the subs can refer you to other subs and it's just a domino effect from there. For the most part, as long as you verify subs with your state contractors board, the subs know their trade and do it very well. I'm sure I could have saved more money on the pool but I didn't mind paying extra for the "better" gunite sub, tile sub, and I really wanted the pebble tec vs plain plaster.

A few things that I would change: the first would have been to kick the water slide/grotto off the project. It was a $12,000 project. I had bids from people to do it for $9,000 but I wanted to go with the most reputable sub in town because some of them can look really cheesy. I didn't really want to pay that much for a pool feature but the kids and their friends absolutely love it. In a city where everyone and their mom has a pool, my wife convinced me that this will keep our kids and their friends here where we can keep an eye on them vs going to a friends house who doesn't have one. The second thing is that I wasn't thrilled about the herringbone pattern that they did with the pavers. I prefer the look of using rectangles and squares where the herringbone pattern is all rectangles. That's just me being nit picky. I'm sure it was cheaper for the contractor to use and order all rectangles and thats why he did it. Poor communication on my end. Other than that I'm very happy with the way that everything turned out. We use the pool multiple times a day and I'm sure we'll get our money's worth out of it knowing that in Las Vegas a pool really doesn't add any value to your home when you go to sell.

i like the raised patio. i'm almost regretting not getting a raised patio to rectify our never-ending elevation issues/confusion. u don't have anyone behind u so it really makes sense in your case. it's still a very private yard. very beautifully done product!

Congratulations on a great build! I'm in Henderson (Seven Hills) and would love to see your list of subs. And who to avoid, spreadsheets, anything you can share. PM me if you have time. Thanks for sharing your knowledge for the DIY community!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.