PVC Tray Holder For Intex Metal Frame Pool (I Should Patent This!)

I got a chance to make a table similar to what you have. I couldn't find the "T" fittings in 1/2" or 3/4" so I made a little change to the way it is held on to the side. If it doesn't work out I can change it later. I built it around a couple trays I found in walmart in the picnic section. I used 3/4" that I had at the house from sprinkler maint.

Without any disrespect to Mr. Beens, here is my version of the tray/shelf/rack thing. Thank you for inspiring many of us to do a similar project.
Using yours as the main example, my biggest issue was getting a fit around the larger Ultra frame. It seems that your pipe fitting is nearly perfect for the Metal frame pools. So I had to be creative to be able to hook on. Other than that, I went wider to fit more random **** and added extra loops to the sides to serve as towel bars. The top part is optional and I also had the idea to keep some pieces pointing up to possibly hook a swim mask or whatever accessories. I added a pipe clamp bracket to hold my cell phone so I can surf the pages of troublefreepool while relaxing in the water.
All in all, I had a great time building this. Thank again for spawning the idea!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the great idea. I didn't have a tray handy that I could use so I did some research and found a 9" x 26" fiberglass tray from a local restaurant supply store.

My shopping list:

Restaurant supply store:
(1) 9" x 26" Carlisle Pearl White Fiberglass Market Tray (269FMT301) = $14.65

Lowes:
(4) LASCO 1/2" 3-Way Elbows (315498) = $3.92
(2) LASCO 2" x 2" x 1/2" Tees (317745) = $3.76
(2) LASCO 1/2" 45 Degree Elbows (23888) = $1.40
(2) LASCO 1/2" 90 Degree Elbows (23867) = $0.80
(2) 1/2" x 5' PVC Pipe (23967) = $3.74

My total price = $28.27 per shelf which is a little more than what I wanted but the extra money for that 9x26 tray is worth it for me.

Some notes:
  • I could only find the 3-way tees and 2" x 2" x 1/2" with slip fittings on all holes at Lowes. And it even mentions that in the original thread but I missed it and scoured two separate Home Depots and even Amazon looking for what I needed before I finally realized Lowes had what I needed.
  • The tray is a little pricey but it is a) white which will reflect the sun/heat; b) slim and wide so that it doesn't stick out too far and can span support legs; c) is nice and heavy so it won't easily blow out; d) has a nice lip to hold the tray in place.
  • I drilled some holes in the corners and side of the tray to let water drain out when it rains
  • I used my 18V Skilsaw to cut the sections out of the 2" tees. I ended up cutting out from approx 4 to 8 on a clock face (assuming 1/2" connector is 12). You may want to start closer to 5 and 7 and see how you like the fit. My first couple of attempts were way too tight. My final position gives the perfect amount of positive friction to hold it in place without worry that it is damaging the vinyl wrap around the pole.
  • The lengthiest part of the process was using a file to smooth out the cut edges on the 2" tees.
  • I cut sections of an old float to put between the PVC tee and vinyl wrap just to give it a little more protection.
  • The lengths on the PVC pipe sections were:
    • 24-1/2" for the long side on the tray
    • 7-3/4" for the short side of the tray
    • 2" for the risers from the 3-way tees
    • 8-1/8" for the run from the 45-degree elbow to the 90-degree elbow at the bottom
    • 24-1/2" for the final run that rests against the legs

And finally the pics:
E2DAxkvl.jpg

FhfzDIrl.jpg

jLUoCFTl.jpg

CkUyBaNl.jpg

UsrPyfFl.jpg

Enjoy your summer!

Reactions: thedudeabides231
I've been building today and I am pretty darn proud of myself!

I have been wanting a place to put things by the pool pretty much since I got the pool. (Probably close to 10 years now!)

Most of the time I'm by myself and I have a combination of a drink and a book, my cell phone (in a waterproof case) and maybe a hat. Things like that. I always had to stick everything on the top of my ladder then try to work around it when getting in or out of the pool.

I have been looking for something to attach to the side of the pool and really haven't found anything. I've seen one for "real" above ground pools that was over $30 and recently discovered a small intex one that is discontinued and was $19.99.

I have a nice tray that I bought in Target a few years ago that I usually use to bring things out when I want to sit in my gazebo so I decided that it would be nice to make a sort of platform that I could set a tray on. It ended up fitting my tray perfectly!

I have always wanted to try making something with PVC so last night I did some planning with my sister in the Lowe's PVC aisle and here is a variation of what we came up with.

I am extremely happy with how it came out and I can't wait to use it next time I'm in the pool!

First a view from the front. Note the gloomy weather. Rainy today, not pool weather...pool accessory building weather!

A view from a little more above it for a better view of the pieces on the pool frame.

From the side

With the tray in place

From the side with the tray in place

And what it might look like while in use!!

Finally, a pic of the mess that is left behind. I should probably clean that now...

The total cost for pieces was $12.04 before tax.

I'll be nice now and tell you what I used...although part of me wants to hide these pics, apply for a patent and sell this thing instead! ;-)

(1) 1/2" x 10' PVC Pipe
(2) 1/2" 90 Degree Elbows
(2) 1/2" 45 Degree Elbows
(4) 1/2" 3-Way Elbows
(2) 1/2" x 2 x 2 Tees

I cut the 2" side of the tees to make a half circle that sits on the tubular frame of my pool. I have seen the pieces already cut before but Lowes only had tiny ones and Home Depot didn't have any. I'm not sure if they come in 2" but cutting a regular tee wasn't too bad. If you had "real" tools it would be even easier!

The top of the frame is a rectangle using (2) 10" pieces and (2) 14" pieces. About 12" x 16" when you add the 3 way elbows.

On the bottom piece of the front (2) 3-way elbows I used a 1 1/2" piece on each to connect to the 45 degree elbows. The diagonal pieces are 15" followed by a 90 degree elbow and connected at the bottom with another 14" piece to make the part that rests on the pool wall.

On the bottom piece of the rear (3) 3-way elbows I used a 1 1/2" piece on each to connect to the top of the 2 x 2 x 1/2 tees that I cut which then just rest over/around the top of the pool frame.

The hardest part was cutting the tees. A power tool would have been handy but I made it work with my cheezy miter box and saw and some sandpaper.

I may get some foam (I'm just thinking a sheet of foam paper from wal-mart or a craft store) and line the inside of the cut tees just to be sure to protect my liner from the edges that I cut. I did some sanding but I think a little padding certainly wouldn't hurt.

So, what do you think? Totally amazing isn't it? Hopefully it will work and not fall apart. Oh yeah, I didn't glue any of it together yet. I may, or I may not. We'll see.

Remember, the idea is to have a place to keep some small items so I won't be testing it with anything heavy. I'm not sure how much weight it would support but I think the heaviest thing I have is the tray itself. lol
Hi - would you be interested in chatting about building me a similar one? Of course I'd pay you. Let me know and we can chat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.